We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motor way congestion between Hollyhead and Southampton

Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Motor way congestion between Hollyhead and Southampton

Would anyone know am I likely to hit major motorway congestion if i leave Holyhead at 5pm on a Friday and head for Southampton. The journey will take around 5 to 6 hours

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

southampton
Level Contributor
52 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Motor way congestion between Hollyhead and Southampton

Leaving Hollyhead at 5pm is definitely the best option. By the time you hit the congested areas, traffic will have died down but it will still be worth it to pay for the toll road around Birmingham. You may have some congestion on the M42 but after that it should be ok. I would estimate a journey time of 6 to 7 hours.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Motor way congestion between Hollyhead and Southampton

I was in a dilemma reading the replies, but whether you take the 12 noon or 5 pm boat, my suggestion would be to get as far as you can (so take the earlier boat?!) and then stop wherever you feel, eg, a Travelodge etc. If you can get south of Birmingham, they are on M40, or even to Bicester/Abingdon area in Oxfordshire.

Then you have a relatively straightforward run down to Southampton from the A34 Winchester intersection at Bar End.

Ireland
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Motor way congestion between Hollyhead and Southampton

Thanks everyone for your advice.

14. Re: Motor way congestion between Hollyhead and Southampton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:46
Get answers to your questions about Southampton