We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting the Beaulieu car Museum

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North east england
Level Contributor
655 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
visiting the Beaulieu car Museum

We are planning a trip to visit the museum, and will be flying into Southampton from Newcastle. We are hiring a car (as we've checked that the museum isn't that far to drive).

We are looking to stay just one night (a Saturday) then flying home, we've stayed in various Hilton hotels a number of times and were considering staying at the Hilton Southampton, we are aware that it is on the outskirts and not city centre (this is ok as its only for a 1-night stay before flying home)

However after reading some of the reviews it doesn't seem to be of the usual Hilton high standards, now I'm not so sure.

All we want is a nice, clean hotel with a bar / restaurant which is easy to drive to (we haven't visited this area of the country before - was a touch concerned as to how easy the town centre is to navigate - we know how difficult Newcastle can be).

Any idea's of where to stay which would be convenient for the Museum? Thank you

Essex
Level Contributor
26,734 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: visiting the Beaulieu car Museum

Several other Hotels in Brockenhurst as I have already said, but I've found this site now, perhaps it will help!:

brockenhurst-newforest.org.uk/Accommodation.…

Bon Chance!

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: visiting the Beaulieu car Museum

How about this one, some would say on the fringes of the new forest as it is closer to Southampton which would make for a shorter trip back to the airport and longer to enjoy breakfast :)

http://www.hotelterravina.co.uk/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186297-d7750…

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: visiting the Beaulieu car Museum

Forgot to say don't worry about negotiating the city centre as the airport is close to M3/M27 which will take you out to the new forest.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: visiting the Beaulieu car Museum

When driving down to Beaulieu don't follow the signs/SatNav which will try to take you down the boring A326 Marchwood bypass, instead aim for Longdown Activity farm and then follow the Beaulieu road through the open forest past Ipley Cross and down to Beaulieu

http://goo.gl/maps/uekRR

Derby
Level Contributor
171 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: visiting the Beaulieu car Museum

Re Hythe Marina in my opinion the location (other than handy for Beaulieu) is poor. Not a lot either in the immediate or close area. The marina does not have a lot there to attract a visitor. Rather than look at the marina owners website I would suggest looking at google earth and streetview. I have not stayed at the hotel but it seems to get reasonable reviews. There are just so many other better options. I have been once and would never go back. There are plenty of other places in the area however that I keep returning to.

Derby
Level Contributor
171 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: visiting the Beaulieu car Museum

Agree totally with mymsman. There are so many very scenic drives through the New Forest it would be a shame to miss out on the views and the ponies wandering around as if they own the place! For someone who does not know the area a very simple route is to get on the M27, then M271 sign post Southampton Docks. Then turn right and follow the A35 to Lyndhurst. Just before entering Lyndhurst left turn Beaulieu Road is a very scenic drive and takes you straight to the museum entrance.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,734 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: visiting the Beaulieu car Museum

re Hythe marina, yes, I get what you mean DW

Still, if it is only for one night for the OP, maybe not such a bad option??

(have you seen the price of a 2 bed 'pad' in that marina?? Heart attack time!! :-P )

Anyway, sure they can make their own mind up!

Southampton
Level Contributor
452 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: visiting the Beaulieu car Museum

Given your budget you shd be able to find a nice hotel. I've stayed at and dined at Careys manor in brockenhurst as previously suggested, hotel Terravina is also lovely although not much in walking distance other than forest! If you would like a town experience then I can recommend Stanwell house hotel in Lymington on the high street. The other thought is the Montagu arms in beaulieu itself - lovely hotel with Rosette restaurant and might at this time of yr come in under budget. And check the new forest tourism website for other options as there is everything from guest houses to hotels on there if you are struggling with availability.

19. Re: visiting the Beaulieu car Museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2013, 10:16