We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place for Cruise meet up night before cruise

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Place for Cruise meet up night before cruise

HI, our cruise leaves out of Southampton and some of the people from our Cruise Critic roll call are interested in meeting up the evening prior to disembarkation for dinner/drinks.Some of us are staying at Mercure Centre Dolphin and others at Jurys and other places. Is there somewhere you could recommend that might be central to most of the hotels? It would need to be child friendly as some will have children coming along on cruise. Those with kids could always leave early if they need to! I'm thinking of a local type of place with reasonably priced food and drink.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,729 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place for Cruise meet up night before cruise

Bump.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place for Cruise meet up night before cruise

I feel I should reply because no-one else has, but this is not something I have done.

The Dolphin hotel is in the high street (the main street with all the shops) and is surrounded by restaurants, plus there is a really nice restaurant in the hotel. Standing in the doorway of the Dolphin looking onto the street

-Zen Japanese and rancho steak house to left

-la lupa pizza left opposite

-food factory all you can eat buffet to right (it's not just Chinese, it is everything and cheap).

These are the places less than 1 minute away. Within 5 minutes there are dozens more. There is a big row of eateries in nearby Oxford street , including 2 family friendly pizza chains, Pizza Express and Prezzo. There is an Indian place with a buffet option opposite Pizza Express.

If you turn right out of the Dolphin hotel you are about 3 mins away from West Quay shopping centre. Open till 9pm on weekdays all year round. There is a food court on the top floor including Wagamams (Asian food), Cafe Rouge, Pizza Hut, McDonalds and Harry Ramsden(fish and chips). You will go past Burger King before you get to West Quay.

The cafe in IKEA is popular with families.

There are lots more restaurants than this and I haven't included pubs or anything more than 5mins walking distance from the Dolphin hotel.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place for Cruise meet up night before cruise

Prezzo is more a full Italian restaurant rather than just a Pizza place and there are numerous other Italian restaurants.

Nearer to the Jury's end of town is Bedford place with a large selection of restaurants and in between the two area is Above Bar the main pedestrianised shopping street with another selection of mainly chain restaurants.

It would probably best if you could gain some consensus between your group as to target budget, cuisine range, and likely numbers to help narrow the choice.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
387 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place for Cruise meet up night before cruise

Thanks so much for your help. I have posted the questions suggested above to see what type of place the majority would prefer and will go from there. I really think that since we are going to be in the UK on vacation, we should go some place British!

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place for Cruise meet up night before cruise

Not the lap dancing club opposite the Dolphin hotel then..

There are LOTS of pubs in the city centre and Bedford place. Most of them sell traditional British food (but most of us do not eat fish and chips or curry in a pub, contrary to what most tourists think).

The Bedford Place area is more studenty so I hardly ever go there and can't really comment on it.

Further out of town the Cowherds pub in the Avenue does really nice food and is very family friendly. Most pubs which sell food allow children up to a certain time in the evening (usually 9pm and displayed on a notice on the door or bar) but it is best to check.

There is a cheap and cheerful j d wetherspoons pub right by the Dolphin. It won't be winning any michellin stars. There are a couple of historic old pubs in the area too, the red lion and the Wellington. No idea if they allow children (the red lion has a talking parrot at the bar).

6. Re: Place for Cruise meet up night before cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Southampton