We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfers from Heathrow to Southampton for a cruise

Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Transfers from Heathrow to Southampton for a cruise

Help! I am sending my parents on a cruise the end of August from Southampton. They will be flying into London Heathrow. What is the easiest way to get them from Heathrow to Southampton for their cruise? Also, can you recommend a decent place for them to stay while there. They are going to fly from the US to Brussels, visit Brugge and then fly to London to catch their cruise. I would like them to arrive in Southampton 1 day prior to their cruise, so any suggestions on what to see while there would also be most helpful. My parents are 67 and 69 and both in good health. Appreciate any help I can get on this.

Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfers from Heathrow to Southampton for a cruise

AirlineGirl, this thread should help you out:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k60271…

Southampton...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfers from Heathrow to Southampton for a cruise

Train without doubt the easiest way to get from Heathrow to Southampton. They would need to get off at Southampton Central station.

Depending on your budget there are plenty of hotels close to both the station and the cruise terminal (up to 5 mins in taxi for either - cost around £8). The De Vere Grand Harbour Hotel looks over the water and is close enough to walk to both the old city of Southampton area as well as the new/shopping area with West Quay shopping mall. Have a look at website www.deveresouthampton.co.uk for prices etc. The England football team stay there when playing at the Southampton football club so it must be pretty good.

There are also Travel Inns and Ibis hotels closeby.

They might like to get the ferry over to the Isle of Wight - pretty towns and quite historic - from Southampton - takes around 30 mins, costs around £5 each for return ticket - can easily get taxis or buses when over there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfers from Heathrow to Southampton for a cruise

Don't know what you've booked yet but if your folks hub is Brussels perhaps consider the train from there to London.

City Centre to City Centre travel and London changes are all in one station. So a mere platform change to get a connection to Southampton.

What's more a view of countryside as they travel.

www.eurostar.com for further info.

Cheers

southampton
Level Contributor
46 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfers from Heathrow to Southampton for a cruise

Airline Girl try National Express coach as well before making up your mind - there is I believe an hourly service direct from Heathrow to Southampton (but suggest prebook via the internet if you decide this method of travel as the coaches are very popular and can get filled up - should be cheaper than the train but check it all out - I certainly always use this service when I fly from Heathrow).

As for things your parents can do check out my comments to "bongids" - as "bouncing rupert" says the DeVere is close to the old part of the City and for example is literally across the street from The Mayflower memorial.

The Holiday Inn is right opposite the De Vere and likely to be a cheaper option but we locals get to hear reputations on "the grapevine" - am I right in thinking the DeVere has just been downgraded from 5 to 4 star?

I would say check out reviews for the best tips - for scenic location De Vere/Holiday Inn best (waterfront) or Southampton Park (fronts on to City Centre parkland) but whether these are actually the best I don't honestly know.

Most of our city's sites could be got to easily from any of these three hotels

Southampton
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfers from Heathrow to Southampton for a cruise

Hi ya

I work in Southampton and would suggest the Holiday Inn Southampton as it is located next to the cruise terminal and your parents can watch their ship come into Southampton before they leave. the hotel is air conditoned (including bedrooms), has a restaurant and bar and all bedrooms were recently refurbished. You can book directly at www.holidayinn.co.uk or by calling reservations on 0870 400 9073 option 7.

To get from Heathrow to Southampton the easiest way for them is to get a taxi but this will cost approx ÃÃã70 - the hotel in southampton can give you taxi telephone numbers.

A cheaper and also easy way is to get the National Express coach. This takes them to the coach station in Southampton which is then only ÃÃã3 for a taxi to the hotel and takes 3 minutes.

The train is more complicated i believe.

Good luck and I hope they have a great holiday!

6. Re: Transfers from Heathrow to Southampton for a cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 05:28