We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

Boca Raton, Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

Need transportation on July 13,2014, from Southhampton port,…to Harwich Port….arriving 6"30 "A.M. into port of Southhampton,and need to go to port of Harwich,,arriving by at least 3 P.M. same day…for cruise that leaves same day….July 13,2014.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

Hello?

Please?

Thank you?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,184 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

Not only that, but as well please let us know how many people will be travelling - adults and children under 16 - and whether all in the party will have cruise ship amounts of luggage or more modest numbers of bags.

Boca Raton, Florida
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

2 people traveling…adults…..1 piece of luggage for each one ….50 pounds each piece….taking cunard ship from New York to Southhampton… then S outhhampton to Harwich..then cruise from Harwich, back to Harwich.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 03:55
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

You can do the journey by train, The timetable for July are not available yet (check 3 months prior to journey) but for a typical Sunday morning see …nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep , for two people cost would be £124. This does involve 3 changes including a cross London transfer by tube.

You could consider renting a self drive car for the journey, even with one-way drop off charges it could be cheaper but most car rental offices are closed on Sunday, you would need to pick up the car at Southampton airport and double check whether they would permit out-of-hours drop off in Harwich.

A car with driver is going to be expensive, probably at least £200, you would need to get quotes from a number of companies.

Edited: 10 January 2014, 11:10
London
Level Contributor
10,336 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

To add context, by car with perfect conditions and clear traffic that's over three hours drive. Summer Traffic can be busy so might well take longer.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

You might want to re-think this plan.

Cruise ship arrival times are very approximate - they can be delayed by bad weather, difficulties berthing etc. You then have to be reunited with your luggage, I understand this can take a little while. You should check with the cruise company, but I doubt you will be skipping down the gangplank, bags in hand and ready to go at 6am.

The train from Southampton to Harwich takes 4.5 hours on a Sunday and involves 3 changes of train and crossing London. There may be engineering works (which usually take place on a weekend) that make the time taken longer. You don't therefore have much time to play with.

I think a car service would be your only answer, but even that will take at least 3 hours, and it will not be cheap.

In your shoes, I would have scheduled at least a day between one cruise and the next, to allow for SNAFUs. As it is, you will be very dependent on your first cruise ship arriving on time. I suggest you contact the cruise company to see if there is some way you can be given priority disembarkation, and how long this will take, then check if your travel insurance will cover you for missed transfers, and have a back-up plan for flying to your 2nd cruise's next port of call if all goes wrong.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,144 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

The thought that came to mind when I read this was "If I was you I wouldn't start from here".

First, it's 140 miles

Second, there's no direct public transport route

Third there's a small village called "London" in the way

Fourth it's Sunday - public transport is less frequent & what there is may be subject to increased travel times, rerouting due to the need for maintenance

Fifth you cannot guarantee what time you will get off the ship

Sixth, by train it's at least 4h16m to Harwich International if you pick the quickest trains and can be at the station at the right time - slower routings do exist so your travel time could be 5h16m even assuming there isn't any maintenance works going on

So you see you have a problem or two

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,579 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

Southampton to Waterloo by train

Waterloo to Stratford by Jubilee Line underground

Stratford to Harwich Interntational by train

Check engineering works and fares nearer the time

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

I don't think the timings are too bad, certainly not as tight as many other posters who think they can catch a midday flight on a weekday from Heathrow after a cruise!

It won't be easy by train with all the changes transfers but leaving Southampton at 7:55 would get to Harwich by 12:43 - 2 hours ahead of schedule, the 9:25 gets to Harwich by 13:43 and even the 10:25 arrives before 3pm.

Obviously it will be necessary to check for engineering works nearer the time but it should still be feasible

London
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel from port of southhampton to port of harwich

And the extra day would allow time to practice please and thankyou - still missing even after a gentle reminder