We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

accommodation

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Falkland, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
accommodation

My husband and I plan to spend a month in England. We wish to visit Kew, Hidcote and Sissinghurst Gardens, and Churchill's homes of Chartwell and Blenheim. We are also interested in visiting Cornwall area.

We are looking for a city to use as a base as we are not young and will spend some days close to home base exploring our neighbourhood. London is very expensive so we are looking for another hub city with accommodation costs of approximately $1,000/week. We will not rent a car so need access to public transit.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom and advice.

Marlene

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: accommodation

Southampton is equally inconvenient for all of those locations!

Sounds like you would be better off having 4 or 5 weekly bases and moving every week. Otherwise you will spend all your time traveling and see nothing. For example, train from Southampton to anywhere in Cornwall takes at least five hours. Not suitable for a day trip.

Please give us your budget in pounds (there are a dozen types of dollars at least) and time of year. Visit in January to reduce costs. Cornwall in August is twice the price of the rest of the year in my experience.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
8,927 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: accommodation

Assuming that you cant stretch the money, I would be inclined to shorten the holiday, and try earlier/later in they year. There are cheaper places in London if you look around, and it the only convenient place to start from for most of your trips.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,006 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: accommodation

The current conversion on Canadian Dollars is coming out at around £537 and how far it will go in any location outside London is dependent on when you want to travel. Whilst Kew Gardens is open all year do take into account in your research that some gardens aren't year round. Your wish list covers quite a large area so to echo the advice given already think about a week in each location. For Cornwall why not consider an organised coach trip with accommodation and trips around that county which generally take in Lands End and other places of interest. There are some great gardens down there with Trebah being my favourite.

I do hope you manage to plan your itinerary to get what you need, it's not impossible but definitely not an easy task balancing it all against public transport.

Falkland, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: accommodation

Thanks for your help. The dollar amount is Canadian.

We will look at moving about, spending a week at four different locations. England seems so small compared to Canada, everything seemed so close. Only a few hours on the train to almost anywhere in England. But of course travel takes a big bite out of your day.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: accommodation

I wouldn't recommend Southampton as a base, and although it has some pleasant parks around the town centre and a decent bus service it isn't an enormously interesting city. I would probably use Exeter, Plymouth or Bristol for the Cornwall excursions, possibly even Bath although it is not cheap and public transport is not great there.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: accommodation

Why stay in Exeter, Plymouth or Bristol if they want to visit Cornwall? Just stay in Cornwall or all of their time will be taken up with traveling.

7. Re: accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:19