We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick to Southampton

Which Southampton hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick to Southampton

We will be staying at the Gatwick airport overnight prior to our journey to Southampton to board a cruise ship. We are planning on buying train tickets (Southern Rail) and then taking a taxi from the Southampton train station to the port.

I'm wondering if there are any other suggestions on how to best get there. I've tried some of the taxi companies and they all seem to be over 100pounds. Cost for two Southern Rail tickets is approximately 30pounds. I think the taxi may be about 10pounds. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

There's no other sensible ways of making the journey

Southern tickets can be cheaper than you have quoted if bought in advance

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

Fares on the South coast direct route are as little as £8.00 when bought in advance, the alternative route via Clapham Junction is more expensive, requires changing trains and is no faster.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

There is a free shuttle to Dock Gate 4 from Southampton train station. Get off on Platform 4 side. Buses every 10 minutes. Cabs also available from here if you need to go from Dock gate 8 or 10.

Great western trains also go from Gatwick sometimes, they take longer but are cheaper. Check on www.nationalrail.com

You can also go by coach see www.nationalexpress.com. But heavy traffic can cause delays.

Have a great holiday. and if you get time do have a look around Southampton (see trypadvisor or Discover Southampton website.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
360 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

Many thanks. How can I find out what Dock the MSC Opera is located? Can we take luggage on the free shuttle.

Thanks again for your help.

Southampton
Level Contributor
64 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

I used to take that train quite often. The Southern Rail route isn't fast but it shouldn't be too busy, which is good when you have cases, and it goes through very picturesque countryside. You should be able to see Arundel and the castle as well as rivers and meadows on the way.

When you get to Southampton, you'll want to take a taxi. Platform 4 is the best side for the cruise terminals and there are lifts to avoid the stairs over to it if you come in on a different platform. That's the Toys R Us side for orientation!

Don't know if you are going to Dock Gate 4 or 10 but it is quite a short ride (depending on shopping traffic) and they take you right to the terminal.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

The "free" bus now costs £1, unless you have a through train ticket to the Isle of Wight.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

<<Great western trains also go from Gatwick sometimes, they take longer but are cheaper.>>

Not to Southampton they don't - true you can set out on one from Gatwick but it's 3 or 4 changes on to other companies and £50 a head

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,435 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

The shuttle bus that runs around Central Southampton is designed for people travelling from the Station to the City Centre, and to and from the Isle of Wight ferry.

It is NOT designed for cruise passengers and their luggage and does not take them directly to their terminals.

If your cruise operator doesn't put on their own shuttles, take a taxi.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

Yes you can take luggage on the Free Shuttle, it is especially designed with cruise ships in mind.

I think MSC is from Dock Gate 4.

There are big queues as there is a lot of building work going on especially on Saturdays and Sundays and there are shuttle buses from one to the other as changes to Port entrances are often made at the moment

MSC should inform you of the Dock Gate but are renowned for not giving good info in English.

Log on to Southampton City Council website and type in the name of your ship in the search engine. You will be able to find the correct Dock gate for the time you are going and download a free map of it.

You can also get a link to Discover Southampton and there is a webcam to see your ship in port. It also gives up dates on any travel or weather difficulties.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,575 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick to Southampton

The city centre - IOW shuttle bus is no longer free (unless as said above you have a through ticket to the island or a concessionary pass) and is not designed for cruisers or people with a lot of luggage. I know, I've used it with luggage for a cruise and it was a nightmare!

Sorry, Jane C but you are also incorrect to say there are buses every ten minutes. The timetable redfunnel.co.uk/travel-connections/…

states every 30 mins, except during Cowes week when it is every 15 mins.

The best advice is a taxi.