We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

My family stayed for 2 nights at Wolvesley View this past July. I posted a pretty negative but accurate review about our stay based on our experiences with the owner John and his home. He has been contacting since then asking me to change this review.

While we were staying with John, we were very uncomfortable for many reasons. John is a very friendly, outgoing person but he is in-over-his-head running a B&B.

When we were trying to leave, he was following me around with a book and pen asking me to write some comments in his guest book. When I began writing, he started to dictate what he wanted me to write. I wrote that he did give us extra porridge and he did recommend a great Indian restaurant, which is true.

When we were getting into the car, he was begging me to write positive comments on TripAdvisor.

He also asked me to send Rick Steves an email to inform him about Wolvesly View B&B.

He has posted a response to my review and he has contacted me via email and my Facebook wall asking me to change my comments on TripAdvisor. I have not answered him and blocked him from Facebook.

Let me finish by saying this; many people would not be comfortable staying here. Beside the filth and clutter, his cats have run of the house.

He tries hard to place himself in the middle of any conversation that starts among his guests.

He told us how he sometimes asks his guests to call his ex-wife, who works in a travel-related job. He has them pretend like they are coming to Winchester and would like a B&B recommendation so he can see if she tells them about Wolvesly View. He went through a divorce 2 years ago and believe me, you will hear about it. Just very immature and inappropriate.

After I blocked him from Facebook, he posted on our 8th grade daughter's Facebook wall!

These are things that I initially did not want to post, but I think that anyone considering booking at this B&B should have this information.

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

What a coincidence...my husband and I also live in Houston, and we're travelling to Farnborough later this week. Thanks for the heads-up!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

Curious... If you're travelling to Farnborough, you'd have no need to stay anywhere near Winchester let alone this one particular establishment, so for a first time poster to comment is, forgive me, a teensy bit suspicious.

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

LOL. No need to be suspicious! I'm a first time poster, but I've used this site for a few years now. We're supposed to be moving to Farnborough in July, and I'm not very excited. I'd rather live IN London!

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

After what you went through with the owner, I guess I can't blame you for being suspicious. Posting on your kid's Facebook page is creepy.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,922 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

I think you've mixed me up with the OP as I've never stayed there!

However, I do live near Farnborough, and I'd say don't be disappointed - I'd much rather live out here than in London! Easy to get to London by train, but so close to beautiful countryside.

Having said that, (whisper it carefully) Farnborough itself isn't that exciting, although I haven't been to see the new town development yet.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

Although Judy and I may both be from Houston, I don't know her and have never had any contact with her. I also don't have any idea where Farnborough is but I wish her the best of luck with her move.

Houston, Texas
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

Sorry, LynnDB. I guess I got confused while searching for info about Farnborough, and I need to sharpen my skills a lot!

And to Gilliganuk, thanks for the encouragement.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

bump

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,802 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

Why a bump for a less than substantial and more than confusing thread that has been dormant for several months?

Edited: 26 March 2012, 19:21
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
902 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Read before you book at Wolvesley View B&B

Only the original post is important because people are planning their summer trips and this post contains important information. I came very close to notifying the authorities in the UK over this guy.

Get answers to your questions about Winchester
Recent Conversations