We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking pictures in Winchester

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Taking pictures in Winchester

Hi I am a landscape photographer and I would like to go to Winchester cathedral to take photo's etc. Is there anywhere else I should see too? I am going 16th March as my disabled group are going to London of which I can't afford.

I am coming on the train from Salisbury with tripod and camera and I would also like to know of a place where i can get a cuppa and where it wont be too expensive?

Many thanks.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taking pictures in Winchester

You'll find lots of idea on this list, hope you have a good day out.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23747-Things_t…

There are no shortage of places to stop for a cuppa so I'm sure you will come across one which suits your budget.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taking pictures in Winchester

There would be plenty of photo opportunities on a walk through the water meadows to the St Cross hospital medieval alms houses http://stcrosshospital.co.uk/

You could also try climbing St Catherines hill or visiting Winnall moor nature reserve

UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taking pictures in Winchester

Thanks for your replies. I will be walking and going by Train to Winchester. is Winchester train station far from the centre of the city?

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taking pictures in Winchester

Winchester is very small and the walk from station to cathedral takes no more than 10 minutes. It is free to go in the cathedral on Sundays, but you have to pay at other times. The upper level (no idea what it is called) which contains the Winchester bibles and globes (look out for the island of California) is usually closed on Sundays.

There are several free museums. Hundreds of cafes, restaurants and shops, which are mostly quite small (and some of which are extremely expensive). There is quite a big market which takes over the centre on certain days. Not forgetting if you want to choose a house when you win the lottery, browsing the estate agents of Winchester will give you a good idea of the choice of millionaire's pads in Hampshire.

I am sure you will find Winchester a great place for photography. Once early in the morning I saw an otter strolling down the street there, bold as brass. It can be very busy on weekend afternoons so if you want photos without tourists in them, go early.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taking pictures in Winchester

The station is close to the town centre, if you turn right on exiting the station and make your way along station road to the High st you will be near the Great Hall and West Gate, you can the make your way down the hill into the town centre.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taking pictures in Winchester

Starting at the railway station, go down Station Hill and straight ahead, nip down Swan Lane and turn left onto Hyde Street and turn right onto King Alfred Place, where you will see the Hyde Gate which was the last resting place of King Alfred. Opposite this, is the Church of St Bartholomew.

Come back out onto Hyde Street and turn left onto North Walls and head to the Winnall Moors - a conservation area built around the River Itchen, where you will see many birds including Kingfishers. Walk a little way along the river, towards the town and if you look up the hill to the left, you will see Blue Ball Hill and on the junction with St John's Street, you will see the Old Blue Boar, dating back to the 14th century. Keep going along Water lane and you will end up at a roundabout and if you carry on straight ahead, you will come to the one of the oldest buildings in the city, The Chesil Rectory. This was built around 1420 and now houses an upmarket restaurant. Keep going along that road and you will have a car park on the left and the railway tunnel visible used to be part of the Didcot, Newbury & Southampton line, closed since the 1960's. Sadly this site is now a multi-storey car park. This line also used the newly restored Hockley Viaduct along St Cross Road.

Come back out onto the main road and turn left out of the town, until you come to Wharf Hill on the right. Take a slow amble down this hill and it takes you to the weirs and then onto Wharf Mill and the ruins of Wolvesey Castle. Carry on along College Street, turning right at the end and you will be at St Swithun upon Kingsgate (Note the grooves on the archway from the days of being a thoroughfare) Carry on under the arch and you will be at the Cathedral entrance. The remains of St Swithun are inside the building, having been moved from the grounds causing a thunderstorm and since then, if it rains on St Swithun's day (July 15th) it will rain for 40 days. Go in and look at the huge West Window - reputedly smashed by one of Cromwell's cannonballs and eventually restored in a mosaic fashion after the Civil War of 1642. Head out of the Cathedral Grounds onto Symonds Street and you will stumble upon the Almshouses of Christ's Hospital. Keep going along the road away from the city centre and turn right up the hill along St Swithun Street (note number 27 and a half on the left hand side) and turn right at the top by the Green Man pub. Continue along Southgate Street with the former church of St Thomas on the left, next door to the Museum of the Hampshire Regiment and opposite this, is a little alleyway on the right called St Thomas Passage, nip down there and turn left onto St Thomas Street. Turn right onto Kings Head Yard and there's a little alleyway in front of you, taking you to the City Museum. Opposite that on the left, is the Eclipse Inn, dating from 1540 and reputed to be haunted by Alice Lysle, one of the victims of Judge Jeffreys. Walk through the archway towards the High Street and you will have the Buttercross on your right and turn right down the High Street. On your right, you will see the medieval Pentice, with the upper storeys sticking out (this was due to taxation on ground area) and further down on the right next to Debenhams, you will see the Norman building, St. Maurice's Church Tower. Further on the right you will see the Guildhall and if you keep going down the High Street, you will meet King Alfred on the Broadway. He's 15 feet high and is reputed to drop his sword when a young virgin sits at his feet (sadly he's still got the sword). On your right is Abbey House, the Mayoral residence and behind this, is the Abbey Gardens. Walk through here and you will see the Garden Temple and if you explore a little deeper, there's a secret garden in the grounds. Come back out onto the Broadway and you will see St John's House opposite, the top floor windows are all painted and if you look closely, there's a paint pot on one of them.

Keep going back up the High Street, turn right at M&S and left again and you're on St George's Street. Just past the back of HSBC, you will come to the rear of the God Begot House and if you look at the ground, you can see the plan of St Peter's Church marked out. The Royal Oak is on your right (boasting the oldest bar in England), walk through the alley and you're back on the High Street with the God Begot on the left, built in 1050.

Opposite at Lloyds Bank, the site of the Old Guildhall, look up and you will see the Queen Anne clock and nearby is the curfew bell - ringing at 8pm every evening. Keep heading up the High Street and on your right is Jewry Street and further along Jewry Street on the left is the old prison - there's now a pub on the site called the Gaolhouse and further along on the left is the Library - the former Corn Exchange and the Theatre Royal. Keep walking up the High Street and you get to the Horse and Rider by Elisabeth Frink, this is the entrance to the Courts. Walk into the yard and go up the steps, on your right you will see the ruins of the Castle and right at the top of the steps is the Great Hall, home of the Round Table. When you come out, keep walking straight ahead and you will come to the Westgate on your right. You can go into the museum and even up onto the roof - the view is spectacular! Opposite the Westgate are the HCC offices and the statue of the Hampshire Hog.

If you were to walk up the hill along Romsey Road, you would find the old Peninsula Barracks on the left (now apartments) and further up the hill, is the victorian Royal Hampshire County Hospital, a building advocated and advised by Florence Nightingale. Opposite is the current HMP Winchester. Turn back down Romsey Road, turn left at the roundabout and straight ahead is the Plague Obelisk (There's also one at Oram's Arbour and they used it as a trading post during the plague) now you are heading back to the railway station.

There's loads more to see in Winchester, St Catherine's Hill and the Garnier Road bridge across the Itchen (we used to jump off it into the river as teenagers!), as well as Pilgrim's Trail running from Winchester to Portsmouth. Winchester College for the stunning architecture and St Giles Hill where you can see fantastic views of the city. The newly restored victorian Hockley Viaduct (all 33 arches of it) is a must and St Cross Hospital Almshouse is also worth a look, they still offer refreshment to travellers too! The City Mill is worth a visit, powered by the Itchen and they also have families of otters visiting.

I hope this points you towards some of Winchester's jewels, so enjoy!

Berlin, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Taking pictures in Winchester

Start from Colebrook Street with the tour by the river and round the walls described for a short visit but (from Easter to October) have a look around the romantic ruins of Wolvesey Castle.

If your timing is right you could join a guided tour of Winchester College.

You will also have the time for one of the marvellous tours of the Cathedral.

My tips for a lunch spot are The Black Boy, an ecccentric pub near the river, The Cathedral buttery, a self service with almost gourmet food, or a classic ancient pub, The Eclipse near the cathedral.

In the afternoon there’s much more history to discover on a visit to the City Museum, the medieval Westgate with a second museum and a fabulous views down the lovely high street.

You will not want to miss the Great Hall of the old royal Winchester Castle to see the Round Table.

One could easily think that Winchester has little modern, but there is a thrilling new library which is well worth visiting. This is a few minutes walk along Jewry Street, which is packed with restaurants to consider for your evening, as well as the Theatre Royal with entertainment all year round.

Dont be surprised if you feel your legs need a rest before the evening. A romantic way to start the evening can be a walk up St Giles Hill where there is a great view over Winchester – and with a bit of luck the sun setting over it.

www.wintonian.co.uk (it is an bed and breakfast place, but however, the website has a lot of information and nice picture about winchester)

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,908 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taking pictures in Winchester

Peter,

This thread was started well over a year ago so the OP has long been and gone.

9. Re: Taking pictures in Winchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Winchester
Recent Conversations