We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional Pub and Good Food

Which Winchester hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional Pub and Good Food

I've been asked by friends who will be visiting Winchester from Austria to suggest somewhere they can eat in an evening. Ideally they are looking for somewhere that is fairly typically British and mention of a traditional pub was made. I'd love to have some suggestions to be able to give them as I'm out of touch. I've looked at a couple of pub menus but they were, to my mind, lovely menus but not really pub type food and also somewhat pricy,

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional Pub and Good Food

See here : thegoodpubguide.co.uk/eng/…

I enjoyed a Sunday lunch at "The Wykeham Arms" and "The Black Boy" is a great pub. Note that you're in a pricey part of the world, so if you're looking for bargain food, you're in the wrong place !

Mike

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional Pub and Good Food

If the weather is good and you can get a table outside overlooking river the Bishop on the bridge http://bishoponthebridge.co.uk/ is worth considering

I haven't been for a while but I like the Old Vine,

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional Pub and Good Food

argyle_mikey , Thanks. I'll send them your Good Pub Guide link. The Wykham Arms has been mentioned but having already checked the menu it looks a bit too 'foodie' and not so traditional pub grub. I've no doubt a drink or two will be taken there though!

As for prices, yes, Winchester prices have always been silly, pay through the nose, prices alas! Price isn't the issue though so long as the food comes up to expectation.

Mymsman . Thanks. I've been to both of those places in the past but it was so long ago they have probably changed. I'll look them up and pass on the information.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional Pub and Good Food

Another vote for the Old Vine, great for just a drink or for a meal.

Alton, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional Pub and Good Food

Does it have to be in Winchester central.....will they have a car? There are some cracking pubs in the villages outside Winchester which might give them more of the traditional feel they're looking for?

The Old Vine is good, as is the Wykeham but they are both a little pretentious (apologies to those who love them!) particularly if they are looking for old fashioned.

Of the ones suggested so far, I think the Black Boy is probably going to be closest to the mark, albeit whenever I visit it's full of youngsters!

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traditional Pub and Good Food

Thanks again for the replies - all information being passed on.

I think they want to eat in town because of time of arrival and other arrangements. If out of town were possible my recommendation would be The Plough at Sparsholt - but again it's not really typical pub food but more restaurant food in a pub surrounding.

Winchester, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traditional Pub and Good Food

You could try the King Alfred or the Roebuck Inn - both do solid pub grub and the former has a big outside area. If they fancied a nice walk and wanted to see out of town a bit - could always wander to the Bridge at Shawford and get the train back.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,679 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traditional Pub and Good Food

Many thanks. I'd already put the King Alfred to them from other recent recommendations.

Ended up in the Crown and Anchor in the High Street. Very typical pub with a surprisingly wide choice of menu at sensible prices. Wide range of sea food - although perhaps a bit pricier pro-rata than the rest of the menu. Location very convenient and food enjoyed by all - so all in all a good evening.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Traditional Pub and Good Food

The Wykeham Arms is a great pub with superb ambiance, but food is expensive, a little too pretentious and the portions are mean. A pity because it used to be excellent.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traditional Pub and Good Food

Mayfly at Stockbridge is a pretty English pub. Other favourite areThe Bugle at Twyford & The Cricketers at Crawley.

Get answers to your questions about Winchester