We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Watford Train Station

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Watford Train Station

What is the best time to arrive at the train station to grab a space?

I'm having a bit of a headache with all this - my daughter has been accepted onto a music course in Bushey which is great but it just so happens to be during the last week of the Olympics! My son and I have found a self catering place near Tring (Must be the last one anywhere..!!) so while she's there, we thought we would go into London to see the sites... I'll have a car so I thought we would drive to Watford Train Station but not sure if it's a good idea?

Any advice MOST welcome!

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Watford Train Station

Why wouldn't you just drive to the station at Tring - it has over 500 spaces?

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,818 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Watford Train Station

As it's commuter belt, 7:00am isn't too late to get to any station car park.

So whereabouts is this self-catering place?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Watford Train Station

I didn't ask about Tring as I've never been there before..... Our accommodation is in Ivinghoe. Would it be much easier from there then?

London
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Watford Train Station

Yes - much easier from Tring. No point fighting traffic to Watford and trying to find parking there when there is no need to.

If you are heading into London for sightseeing, it is much cheaper to wait until after peak hour (0930) so that you can benefit from the off peak return fare.

The off peak travelcard (ie return train fare from Tring to London then any train / bus / tube within London is £19.30 after 0930 but £26.30 if you leave earlier.

If you intend to sightsee every day then a season ticket will bring more savings (and doesn't have time restrictions)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Watford Train Station

That's super advice! Thank you very much! :)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,818 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Watford Train Station

< My son and I have found a self catering place near Tring (Must be the last one anywhere..!!) >

Unlikely, the village has poor public transport links - to get to Tring Station takes over 30 minutes and requires 2 buses whereas it's 10 minutes by car

There is an occasional bus to Cheddington Station (opposite direction to Tring) which takes 10 minutes but it's "occasional" as in a couple of services a day.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
246 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Watford Train Station

I'm hiring a car from Luton Airport....

london
Level Contributor
416 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Watford Train Station

a few options park at tring station park at hemel hempstead station or park at watford junction all are on the train line into london euston and have fair sized car parks, but do go after 9.30am as the costs go right down and the your more likely to get a seat, get an all zone travel pass which covers all your underground travel as well.

9. Re: Watford Train Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2016, 01:15