We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayday Bank Holiday

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Mayday Bank Holiday

Staying in Shanklin Fri, Sat, SUn nights - suggestions for restaurants, places to visit please?

south coast
Level Contributor
7 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayday Bank Holiday

La Vaca Loco, opposite the crab Inn, great tapas bar.

Shanklin Chine is good if the weather holds.

Walk from Luccombe via Ventnor towards the west, fantsatic scenery, good pubs on Ventnor front.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayday Bank Holiday

Saffrons on Clarendon Road, Shanklin is excellent for evening meals -closed Sundays but open at 6PM rest of week.

A lovely lunchtime walk nin Ventnor is Steephill Cove - accessed via the Botanical Gardens...well worth a visit, so unspoilt and uncommercial...its a steep walk back up the hill but you won't regret it...great cafe down there with whopping home made cakes!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayday Bank Holiday

Great curry house called Jasmins in Regent street,Shanklin if you fancy a change from the resturants in Shanklin seafront.

For something special Morgan's restaurant is good. High Street Shanklin

If you have not got a car, use the buses to do an Island tour.

If not take your car to West Wight for spectacular views along the military road. Visit Yarmouth, good pubs and restarants.

Osbourne House is good if you like that sort of thing.

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayday Bank Holiday

Thanks for the recommendations.

We probably will go to Osbourne House - "frozen in time" is how I like my historic houses.

And thanks for the restaurant recommendations.

John

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayday Bank Holiday

Thanks for the recommendations.

We probably will go to Osbourne House - "frozen in time" is how I like my historic houses.

And thanks for the restaurant recommendations.

John

Toowoomba, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayday Bank Holiday

Do not go to Pendletons Cafe on the way to the Old Village in Shanklin! I agree with Morgans, very nice. If you have a car or can negotiate the buses, Baywatch on St Helen's Bay is very nice for a lunch or early dinner as it is located right on the beach. Rex Piano Bar in Ventnor is a nice location, though the food & service is stuck in the 70's. Too much sauce on everything and not good value for money, I ordered Chilli Squid and was handed a bowl of spicy sauce which was nice, though only 4 squid rings for £6. Hope that helps.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,944 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayday Bank Holiday

Yes John121

Osbourne House has to be THE place to visit on the Isle of Wight - not to be missed - has that 'frozen-in-time' appeal that you seek, but it has been beautifully restored within the past 10 years.

EW

8. Re: Mayday Bank Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight
Recent Conversations