We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

isle of wight in july

middx
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
isle of wight in july

hi i wonder can any one please give us some info im taking my elderly mother for a week in july staying in shanklin we plan to travel by coach from victoria to portsmouth then onto ryde where we can pick up the train to shanklin she has trouble walking up stairs so i was wondering is it easy when you get on and off ferry are there steps and when were on the island is it easy to get around as we do not have a car and will be using the bus service,also places of interest that are easy access any info i would be gratefull, thank you

Essex
Level Contributor
28,882 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: isle of wight in july

You should definitely go to Osbourne House. They have 'disabled' access to the ground floor, with 4 wheelchairs available for use, so your Mum might appreciate this if walking a long way is difficult for her. IF she can walk, then she still might be able to see the upper floor apartments, which are not wheelchair accessable. In the grounds they have transport to take you down to the Swiss Cottage, Horse Drawn carts when I was there, and there are hard paths and roads that would take a wheelchair if your Mum needs it.

english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.14486

I believe the buses on the IOW are pretty good, but I usually take my own transport, so I have never needed to use them.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
686 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: isle of wight in july

The buses on the island are Ok but from what i remember are quite expensive - it might be getting a weekly paid card if they are avaliable

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: isle of wight in july

The bus service is regular and makes it easy to get around the Island. Driving can be a bit of a nigtmare if you are not used to Island roads.

The bus fares are expensive though so I would get a 7 day rover for £20 which is really good value for money. The routes on the Isalnd cover all the main tourist destinations. Try the open bus trip from Yarmouth up to the needles battery. Best views on the island.

If you want to look at the routes then I suggest you look at the islands bus website.

www.islandbuses.info

Tel number 01983 827000

Enjoy your trip, the weather in July is usually good.

PS if you mum is an OAP then the fares should be free or reduced anyway.

PPS Tell the staff at the Wrightlink CAT in Portsmouth your mum needs assistance, they are usually quite helpful.

middx
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: isle of wight in july

thats very helpfull and thank you for all your replys

isle of wight
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: isle of wight in july

hi, from the coach drop off at portsmouth harbour its a flat short walk to the fast cat terminal,(through portsmouth harbour station), the only trouble you may have is if the tide is fully in when you catch the fastcat,it can be a very steep (flat) walk up to the ferry,there are people who can assist and handrails.and then when you get to ryde it will be in reverse you could have a steep walk off ferry.its then a flat walk to train platform.

lets hope the tides out!!

what others have said about buses is correct very expensive to buy single tickets, so buy a 1,2 or 7 day pass from driver.buses have good service across island.

middx
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: isle of wight in july

Hi, thank you for your help, fingers crossed the tide is out, im sure we will be able to manage.

noldbrewery
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: isle of wight in july

WEll i know at the ferry terminals they are very helpful, if you let them know a few hours before boarding. They might even get a wheelchair and some staff members to help.

The bus service is a little expensive but very quick at getting you to point to point.

I do recommend a few places of intrest for first time travellers over on the island, or just a regular visitor:

1)Oasis - ideal for shopping (just worth a visit)

2)Steam railway - Love the place, keeps getting better each time.

3)Sandown pier/beach

4)Ryde Esplande

5)Isle of wight zoo

The list goes on forever.

Hope this helps you. Have a great visit

middx
Level Contributor
106 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: isle of wight in july

thank you or your help, we will try and visit them all if my mum is able thank you for your relpy.

9. Re: isle of wight in july

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 05:25
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight