We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for us?

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for us?

Sorry for being ignorant perhaps and not looking through the forum first but we have spontanious booked a flight to England and are planning to stay on the island in November for 3-4 nights.

We are a couple in our early 30's, looking for hotel in a rural surrounding where we can relax, enjoy the probably terrible weather and do some sight seeing. What is the best town to stay in for us and perhaps any recommendations to stay? We need to have good restaurants within walking distance. Price is not really an issue in this.

Did I mention we are gay? Any problems here in visiting the island?

Thanks!

Berry

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for us?

I have to say, IOW in November would not be on the first page of my list of places to visit :-) Are you flying into Southampton?

If you want good restaurants I think you'll have to be prepared to travel around, perhaps stay in Cowes or Ryde because I think many other places will be seasonal and very very VERY quiet in November. Both of these are ferry terminals so might be a bit busier than elsewhere. I don't live on the IOW but used to live opposite on the mainland and go there a lot, and still visit 2 or 3 times a year (but only April-Oct or so) so maybe a local resident can put me right about how closed down it will be then, but thats my impression when I visit early in the year, that its just waking up :-)

Not sure about the gay thing might be worth checking reviews ISTR one review of a B&B reporting a problem. In theory its against the law to discriminate but there is theory and there is practice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for us?

Hi and thanks for your answer! Indeed, we are flying into Southampton and were thinking of staying one night there, 3-4 nights on the island and 3-5 nights in Brighton. I understand it will be quiet, thats fine, were there to relax. But very very very quiet with everything shut down is not what we want!

Always wanted to travel to Isle of Wight, dunno why really.

Anyways, since we have booked the flights spontaniously (honestly, after a wine or 2, or maybe 5-6 ;) ) we want to make most out of it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for us?

Like I said, wait for a local to turn up, maybe I"m wrong, but when I've been early on in the year, maybe March, it looks like its just waking up :-)

I think Cowes is nicer than Ryde, its also more compact, more to see, some nice little 'cosy' pubs, and **probably* more and better restaurants, so thats where I would go.

UK
Level Contributor
199 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for us?

There is still enough open to fill 3/4 days in November, there is Osborne House, Brading roman Villa open and in Sandown Dinosaur Isle, the Zoo on weekends only and the front part of the pier also Brickfields Horse and Country and Amazon World Zoo Park to name just a few. Look at the red funnel web site it gives places and times on that for various

attractions. Cowes being smaller would probably suit

the Island is naturally beautiful, Shanklin Old Village has some nice restuarants but dont expect

a Psrty Island Faliraki style it isnt.

John

Stamford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for us?

Hi - I have been visiting the Island virtually every year since the mid 1990s and still find new things to explore; it also changes with the seasons - so November will be fun too! Personally I don't like Cowes at all; Ryde is OK, but personally I would always head for Ventnor - plenty of interest around here and loads of places to eat - even off season Check out Steephill Cove, St Lawrence and you must visit the Botanical gardens - there are quite a few websites that will help - just pop Isle of Wight into your favourite search engine and see what pops up! Check out Sandown and Shanklin as well. If you just want a base and good food I recommend the Crab and Lobster at Bembridge - bit out in the 'middle of nowhere' but great situation.

I wouldn't worry about the gay thing at all - I've never witnessed any prejudices. Enjoy - I hope this is a new love affair for you too!

south coast
Level Contributor
7 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for us?

Yes, November and the IOW will be open! Ventnor has many good eating places and would expect the good ones to stay open for the locals.Personally, the Royal Hotel would be the place for me to stay and chill out; great in house restaurant, a small outdoor pool and old fashioned service. Good pubs within a few miles of this part of the coast.

Cowes, Isle of...
Level Contributor
24 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for us?

I recommend you stay at The Hambrough Hotel in Ventnor. The hotel and it's restaurant has an excellent reputation and Ventnor is a really cool place to base yourselves in on the island.

Andy

Ryde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for us?

If you are looking for somewhere fairly rural but still within reach of things to do, I would really recommend Shanklin Old Village. There are a couple of really nice restaurants (Siam Pearl for Thai food is lovely) and you will be within walking distance of the rail link. The IOW railway line runs from Ryde through Smallbrook Junction, Brading, Sandown, Lake and terminates at Shanklin; meaning any attractions in these places will be within easy reach. The IOW Steam Railway operates from Smallbrook Junction and runs all year round, and the route takes in Ashey (beautiful), Havenstreet and Wootton. Price is around £9 if I remember correctly - just google IOW steam railway, it has its own website showing year-round timetables.

It's a pity you are coming in November because the Shanklin Chine closes for winter on November 1st. It's a lovely walk, floodlit at dusk and is very romantic in the evenings. Still, if you and your partner are walkers, you can walk from Shanklin up & around Cooks Castle which provides a good couple of miles of excellent scenery.

Contrary to some of what has been written above, I happen to think Ventnor is pretty miserable and wouldn't recommend it!! Aside from one or two pubs and the Botanical Gardens there is really very little worth visiting Ventnor for. In November Ventnor will be so quiet it will like a ghost town.

I can't vouch for which hotel to stay in as being a resident of the Island I have no need for staying in many of them. However I would not recommend the Marlborough Hotel in Shanklin - awful service!! If you want advice of any particular town or attraction, just ping me a mail, I'll be happy to help :)

Alastair

9. Re: Where to stay for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2010, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight
Recent Conversations