We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to go

GEORDIELAND
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
best place to go

trying to sort out a summer hol, never been to IOW but everytime we visst a british seaside always come away wishing we had not, they all seem run down and depressing so is IOW any different, whats best seaside town to stay at , is there enough to keep us oocupied for a week,

Cowes, Isle of...
Level Contributor
27 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to go

Yes, there is plenty to do on the Island. Its easier if you can drive but the bus service is good.

At the moment, I would recommend Ventnor as the nicest place to stay for a week. It has a charm all of its own and has a nice beach.

Mentioned in this post
Ventnor
Ventnor
Isle of Wight, UK
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
13,476 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to go

It depends what you want, I have been going to Sandown on and off since the 60s. It has a good beach and when the sun is out you can't beat it but when it rains not so good.

Unfortunately most of the hotels around seem to have got stuck in the sixties, when the holiday makers went aboard. The Sandringham apparently has modernised the top two floors recently. TV 'Homes under the Hammer' made a programme about The Enchanted Manor at Niton showing it to be a luxury hotel but have not stayed there. For a first visit, several of the tourist spots are quite attractive.

Mentioned in this post
Sandown
Sandown
Isle of Wight, UK
Niton
Niton
Isle of Wight, UK
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to go

Absolutely plenty of places to visit, some free admissions, some pay. Excellent beaches on the island. I usually stay on the West side of the Island as they have the most beautiful sunsets and sunrises you can imagine. The West is usually the warmer side, although the IOW has always been warm when I have visited. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Hampshire ,England
Level Contributor
609 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to go

Lol. Yes the IOW is a bit shabby but I don't think it has sold it's soul completely. It really does have the best beaches and has a lovely climate.

Doing the tourist stuff gets expensive (Blackgang Chine and the like) and if you're expecting Blackpool you'll hate it.

However if you want a lovely calm beach holiday it might be up your street. Failing that if you hate it you can do a hovercraft or ferry back to the mainland and do Gunwarf (modern designer discount shopping ) and the Naval dockyard for a change.

Mentioned in this post
Blackpool
Blackpool
Lancashire, UK
bucks
Level Contributor
71 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to go

Sorry, only just seen your post so this might be a bit late! You don't say what size your party is and whether or not it is just adults or a family. We had a family holiday on IOW a couple of years ago (2 adults and 2 kids). We stayed in Shanklin and had a lovely week. We have also been a few times without the kids for short breaks. We have always found lots to do and there's plenty of choice for eating and drinking. You are welcome to PM me should you have any further questions. I don't claim to be an expert but we have had some good trips there!

Mentioned in this post
Shanklin
Shanklin
Isle of Wight, UK
GEORDIELAND
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to go

thanks for that,just need to find decent accomodation noo

GEORDIELAND
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best place to go

absolutey would not do blackpool, we may be geordies, but we dee have sum cultsha like, no seriously we like something a little quaint and peaceful but with nice days out , we have done swanage which was quite nice and we loved kingsand , that will give you an idea of what we look for, we enjoy walks and old towns , we hat kiss me quick hats, stag parties and the british abroad,

GEORDIELAND
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best place to go

thanks for that , just me and wor lass! we like a litle culture and sight seeing and walks, and visiting places of interest, i.e blackpool would not be our seen, shanklin sounds nice so we may opt for that

9. Re: best place to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2010, 05:23
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight
Recent Conversations