We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good food, good prices - advice please?

england
Level Contributor
215 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Good food, good prices - advice please?

We are coming for a 4 day visit to Ventnor and wonder if there are any particular reccomendations for eating out please.

We have looked at the Michelin starred restaurant and though it looks superb we are trying to keep costs down below that band. We are real fans of good, local produce cooked beautifully and served in nice surroundings.

Sunday lunch can be a problem for us as I'm not a roast meat eater but the other half wolfs it down! Any suggestions that might suit us both but that goes beyond typical pub-grub offerings would also go down really well.

Additionally, we both enjoy live music can anyone recommend a suitable venue for one or two evenings?

A lot to ask I know but here's hoping...

Thank you in advance

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
926 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good food, good prices - advice please?

We did not eat there but the spyglass in got some good reviews from previous guests at the B&B we stayed at.

That michelin starred place got mixed reviews.

There is a nice Fish & chip shop at the top of Zig Zag road. We had lovely bit of haddock and chips between two of us.

If you dont mind travelling I suggest going to "on the rocks" in Yarmouth. If you like steak :-)

You get what ever you order only seared and it comes on a very hot rock and you get to cook it yourself. We got a salad and massive bowl of chips to share.

The waitresses were really friendly and helpful. Will be going back!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g503893-…

There were some good reviews of a Chinese in Ventnor but I cant remember the name, china house or something. Also a tapas bar. But if you walk down to the beach you will walk past most of these places and can look at the menu

Also I think there was a place called the Piano bar that someone wrote some nice stuff about.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good food, good prices - advice please?

the spyglass in, at the end of ventnor seafront, has live music most days of the week, and varies between classical guitar,folk,trad jazz.

plenty of eating out places in ventnor, tillys cafe has good reviews,the tapas bar,chutney express (indian), have a good look round when your there and find the ones you fancy.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good food, good prices - advice please?

Hello

For some good pub food with local produce, the Fighting Cocks at Arreton is very good. The Sunday roasts are particularly good. Recommend the Jack Daniels bread and butter pudding for dessert!

Also for light lunches in a farm setting with all local produce would be 'Bluebells' at Briddlesford Farm, Wootton. Really good food and a great farm shop if you want to make any purchases too.

Have a great time and enjoy our lovely island.

ventnor
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good food, good prices - advice please?

Phileas Fogg in the town centre has a round the world theme that might suit. For basic pub grub there is the Spyglass Inn, the Mill Bay or the Winter Gardens. The Ventnor Bay Cafe on the front does excellent breakfast and all day snacks. For a better quality meal, try the Ale and Oyster,especially if you like fish, or El Toro Contento tapas bar. In nearby Godshill is the Taverners pub, serving very good ultra local produce. Enjoy your stay!

england
Level Contributor
215 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good food, good prices - advice please?

Spoiled for choice! I particularly like the sound of that dessert - Jack Daniels' bread and butter pudding! Mmm! Blow the roast meat!

Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I can't wait!

Lincoln
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good food, good prices - advice please?

If you have a stroll down towards the Botanic Gardens you'll pass the putting green, which has a lovely cafe in a cabin which sells fabulous IoW made icecream in amazing flavours and home made cakes.

If you're travelling around the Island head for The Vine at Freshwater for some great value, herty meals. The Colwell Bay Inn, on the main road from West Wight - Yarmouth is also fabulous, as is The Sun Inn at Hulverstone.

If you like cream teas and fancy a trip to the Needles there is a great little farm at the foot of Tennyson Downs on the outskirts of Freshwater Bay, signposted from this road towards the Needles. Great value home made cakes.

I wouldn't discount the Hamborough though either, if you go for the lunch menu it is amazing value and something we do every year as a highlight of our trip.

For a really good value taste of the island, head to the fab deli's of Ventnor for some IoW blue cheese, local meats and pastry, IoW tomatos etc etc and build yourself a lovely picnic to snaffle on the beach....

Wish I was there!

colchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good food, good prices - advice please?

We have just returned from a week on IOW & ate at the Ale & Oyster resturant on the front before you reach the Spyglass. There we had an excellent evening meal. I enjoyed a fantastic crab dish there & if you have a window table you can watch the sea.

england
Level Contributor
215 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good food, good prices - advice please?

Thank you for all the advice - we had a really lovely time and we tried a good number of the recommendations.

Our favourite was The Taverners at Godshill - superb local food cooked really well.

Appropriate reviews will be posted soon.

Thanks again.

9. Re: Good food, good prices - advice please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight