We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish and Chips

watford, England
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Fish and Chips

We have our holiday caravan in Bembridge, and cannot find a decent fish and chip shop, any reccomendations ? we tried the one called Regals in Bembridge itself and it was awful, was this just a bad day ?, we dont mind a wee drive.

We just feel you cant go to the seaside and not have fish and chips.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish and Chips

fat harry's in sandown gets my vote.

you can also try little john eater in ryde and alexanders ryde.

but try to avoid the codfather ryde espanade,very bad

watford, England
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish and Chips

Hey iowpoddy,

many thanks for the reply, we will definatly try fat harrys in sandown,

europe
Level Contributor
3 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish and Chips

Go to Ventnor and try the new fish and chips take away at the Ventnor Haven Fishery. They opened their own take-away just a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, I bought 1 fish and chips portion of fried pollack (like cod), 2 home made fishcakes and 2 home made crab samosas. I paid £9.25 for the lot which seems pricey for a take away. But it was a huge portion which fed 2 adults and 1 child comfortably. And the best, the fish is fesh of the boat, the fishcakes and samosas were homemade and the chips hand cut. Not bad price for deliciously home made and feshly caught fish and chips; they also have a choice of different fish like rock salmon and skate or calamari. Then take your take-away and sit on the beach or opposite the fishery where you will find benches and a great paddling pool for kids to play while you eat. Enjoy! We will be back!

england
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish and Chips

What street is this on. We are coming to Ventnor in a couple of weeks time and no holiday is finished without FRESH FISH AND CHIPS!

Thanks

watford, England
Level Contributor
90 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish and Chips

I have just googled Ventnor Haven Fishery, and it looks like its at Ventnor marina,

Sounds great,

isle of wight
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish and Chips

its on ventnor esplanade.you cant miss it

england
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish and Chips

Thanks for your reply - looking forward to them

Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish and Chips

Hi everyone, I just had to 'chip in' here, we returned from a holiday on the Island today and were very very impressed with the Ventnor Haven Fishery chipshop. Its a wet fish shop by day and has a small hatch around the side selling takeaway fish and chips in the evening.

It is outstanding. I am a big fish n chip fan and go out of my way to find good quality chippy's, being from Grimsby originally (although now moved away) I know my fish and this place it THE BEST I have ever tasted and that includes RIck Steins in Padstow. We went there yesterday and had Rock Salmon and Prawn tails both with chips and lemon mayo. It cost about £15 but is well worth it. You are buying direct from the fish monger so guaranteed freshness and quality filleting. In addition the chips are all handcut.

Utterly brilliant and will soon become very famous i am sure. I would drive across the island to get them.

Enjoy.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Fish and Chips

Got to agree the one at Ventnor is good also we liked the fish and chip shop in Freshwater if you are down that way they are delicious.

Maggie.

10. Re: Fish and Chips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 07:30
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight
Recent Conversations