We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day Visit

England
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
One Day Visit

I am going to the IOW for a 1-day trip next week and have never been before. Can anyone suggest how to make the most of it ? What is a 'must-see' ?

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
8 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day Visit

Would help if we knew what you liked, (scenery, historic places etc),

which port are you arriving at, and how are you getting around.

Needles & Alum Bay,

Osbourne House

Newtown Creek

Bembridge Windmill

Unfortuneately Needles & Bembridge are opposite sides of the island so i guess you'll not do both.

England
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day Visit

Thank you very much for your reply. I guess I wasn't very helpful but the truth is we like scenery and historic places. We don't want to spend the time on a beach, or indoors too much if the weather is good. No ferry booked yet (is pre-booking necessary) but i think it will be Southampton-Cowes, though I am considering Lymington- Yarmouth because it is short and I like the New Forest.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day Visit

jeremy, please book that ferry, dont just turn up. look for price deals online or give em a call. the yarmouth route is by wightlink, and southampton cowes is run by red funnel.

best historic place, osbourne house or carisbrooke castle. best for scenery coast road that runs along the south west corner of island(military road).

England
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day Visit

Thank you very much. That's very helpful.

5. Re: One Day Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 06:15