We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around IOW

uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around IOW

Hello

Have never been here before and would like to bring the whole family for a visit in August. We would like to be able to leave the car at home and just go on theferry from Portsmouth to Ryde as foot passengers. There will be 6 of us from age 7 - 75. My questions is how easy is it to get to say, Bembridge from the ferry terminal with the luggage? How much of a schlep is it and is a taxi for us and luggage going to be outrageous? Is the bus an option with luggage? We really don't want to bring/rent a car.

Also we're looking at a Hoseasons holiday park, any thoughts on them?

Thanks in advance!

London
Level Contributor
2,216 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around IOW

You can get the number 8 bus from Ryde Pier direct to Whitecliff Bay Holiday Park, (which is the Hoseasons place). Takes about 40 minutes.

I think you would be looking at around £25 for a taxi but best to book ahead - there may not be many available which can take 6 passengers. You can find a list of Ryde taxi firms by zooming in on the map here;

iwight.com/travelInformation/…taxi.asp

Hoseasons places aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I've used them a few times with the kids, and the one at Bembridge looks fine.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around IOW

If you have a car which will take 6 people and luggage I suggest you do that.

I would guess but you can verify, that foot fares for 6 people would be little different to car + passengers. Plus, its not the easiest place to get around by public transport.

Edited: 04 March 2011, 15:29
uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around IOW

Unfortunately we don't have a vehicle that can carry that many which would mean 2 cars or renting a large car/mini van and there goes the cost right up again....... was hoping public transport would do for just 3-4 days.

uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around IOW

Thanks for that. Nice to know the bus goes right there. Not my cup of tea either but needs must!!! Cheers

hampshire
Level Contributor
152 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around IOW

Hi

I live on the island, another idea could be for you to get the catamaran from portsmouth as foot passengers, although it is cheaper by ferry, the ferry can take about 45 mins the catamaran takes about 20 mins, but the ferry doesn't take you directly to Ryde, only Fishbourne, which is a couple of miles from Ryde, they do have buses though, the catamaran takes you right into Ryde bus station and from there you can get all over the island. If you check out the southern vectis website it can give you prices for travel on the buses with saver fares for daily or weekly travel.

Taxis can be a bit expensive, if you opt for the bus, they are very used to people having all sorts of luggage with them so no worries there.

We have plenty of holiday parks here on the island, just depends what your looking for, hope this helps.

Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,797 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around IOW

"Plus, its not the easiest place to get around by public transport."

I disagree. We always use the brilliant bus network when going to the Island, there's so many routes available and to me (and my 9 year old) it's much more fun than driving anyway. Double-deckers on country roads, open top buses on some summer routes in the summer - brilliant !

If the thought of that one journey with luggage by bus is too much, by all means take a taxi - but otherwise, buses are really the way to go.

Have fun !

Mike

isle of wight
Level Contributor
128 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around IOW

catamarans depart every 30 mins,fares are adult £21 return, children £10.50 (aged 5_15),seniors £15.80.drops you at end of pier you will need to catch train to esplanade(payable).bus station outside,No 8 bus leave every hour (although will prob be every 30 mins in august), and will take yo right outside whitecliff bay. maybe easier on day of arriving to get taxi, who will pick you up from end of pier (may need to book).

getting aroud island on bus is quite easy, but you must buy the rover ticket (from driver) £10, then you can travel all day on any bus.

whitecliff bay holiday park is not to bad, oudoor pool,indoor pool with slide,jacuzzi.steem room,entertainment day and evening, right on large sandy beach,safe for swimming, very steep to get down to.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
134 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around IOW

Another suggestion for travel over to the Island is the hovercraft from Southsea to Ryde. It only takes 10 minutes and lands close to the bus stops at Ryde Esplanade.

http://www.hovertravel.co.uk/

www.hovertravel.co.uk/travel-connections.php

If you are going to use the bus quite a lot it will pay to get a Rover ticket. You can get one for 24 or 48 hrs to cover a family up to 5 people. The over 60's can use their bus passes.

http://www.islandbuses.info/tickets02.shtml

9. Re: Getting around IOW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight