We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from London to Osborne House

Ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from London to Osborne House

I am planning a day trip from London to Osborne House in mid-September. Searching this forum, I have learned there seems to be two options:

1. London -> Southamton -> Catamaran to Ryde -> Bus to Osborne

or

2. London -> Portsmouth -> Ferry/Catamaran to Cowes -> Bus

Since this is a day trip, I want to maximize the amount of time available for the visit, and minimize the time of the transportation.

The Southamton/Ryde route seems to be the most convenient (i.e.: the transfers seem to be the easiest), but the bus service to/from Osborne seem to be infrequent and is a longer bus ride.

The Portsmouth/Cowes option appears to be the fastest (using the fast ferry to West Cowes), but the transfers seem much more complicated.

Can anyone offer some advice on the best way to travel to Osborne?

Thanks very much

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from London to Osborne House

portsmouth-fisbourne too then take a taxi (try and book ahead with a local firm

to meet you bring you back

taxi-register.com/Isle_Of_Wight/Ryde/0198388…

wightlink.co.uk/ferry-travel-info/…fishbourne

fast trains run london waterloo-portsmouth harbour

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/uploads/ptt17december2011[0].pdf

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from London to Osborne House

It's the other way round!

Southampton ferry goes to Cowes, Portsmouth ferry goes to Ryde.

If you go via Portsmouth you will get to the island more quickly, but you are not so close to Osborne house. Whereas if you arrive in Cowes from Southampton you can walk to Osborne house (if you don't mind hills).

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from London to Osborne House

if you get time there is a nostalgic steam railway nearby too

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/

Ontario
Level Contributor
30 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from London to Osborne House

Thanks for correcting me Akkarin, I got my ferries in reverse.

Your said " if you arrive in Cowes from Southampton you can walk to Osborne house (if you don't mind hills)."

Is that true of both East and West Cowes? The fast ferry arrives at West Cowes. Is it as easy to get to Osborne from West Cowes as from East (except a little further).

Also, how easy/complex are the transfer in Southampton between the train and the ferry?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,117 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from London to Osborne House

osborne house is on the east cowes side (slow ferry from s'ton)

if you arrive west cowes you have to take a ferry over to east cowes which takes 10 minutes but there maybe a wait as it takes cars

fishbourne is a good bet and as i said get a taxi booked to meet you

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from London to Osborne House

Yes, from west Cowes you just turn left and keep walking until you get to the floating bridge (linked below)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowes_Floating_Bridge

This takes you across the river for free as a foot passenger. Go straight ahead to the main road and then turn right and go uphill (or get the bus from outside Waitrose supermarket). I takes maybe half an hour the whole walk from the red jet (fast ferry) terminal, excluding waiting for the floating bridge.

At Southampton Central station, exit the station from platform 4. Right outside is a bus stop which says free bus to Isle of wight ferry. Bus is bright blue and turns up every 15 mins or so. Get on the bus, stay on it to the last stop, get ferry. Dead easy (just follow people with luggage - probably going to the island for their hols).

Since I live in Southampton I've never been on the Portsmouth ferry so can't help you there I'm afraid. The taxi idea sounds good though.

Edited: 20 July 2012, 22:34
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from London to Osborne House

On a nice day the ordinary Southampton to East Cowes ferry is a pleasant boat trip of about one hour. You could then take a very short taxi ride if you don't fancy the hill ! I believe there may be a way of getting a combined ferry and Os house ticket.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,934 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from London to Osborne House

An alternative to the taxi from East Cowes is the no. 5 bus, which runs every 30 minutes from Well Street (close to the Red Funnel Ferry Terminal in East Cowes) and stops at the entrance to Osborne House.

http://www.islandbuses.info/r5.shtml

If you are only going to Osborne House, use the Red Funnel ferry (not the catamaran) from Southampton to East Cowes. I wouldn't travel via Fishbourne or Ryde - or even West Cowes for that matter.

Edited: 21 July 2012, 08:09
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,934 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from London to Osborne House

Just to add, I searched the journey times and fares on the South West Trains website.

The through fare - train AND ferry - for a day return London Waterloo to East Cowes is £50.00 after 09.00 Monday-Friday, anytime Saturday and Sunday, return by any ferry and train the same day. The shuttle bus between Southampton Central Station and the Red Funnel Terminal is included in this too. This ticket can be bought at the station on the day of travel, a day or so ahead, or online.

www.southwesttrains.co.uk

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,638 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from London to Osborne House

It's not exactly a cheap day out !

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight