We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isle of Wight, overnight?

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Isle of Wight, overnight?

Hi there,

I live in Southampton a stones throw from the red funnel, and with mum visiting on the first weekend in October I thought it may be a good time to venture over to the island. Coming into Cowes and being at the mercy of public transport, I'd like to do a combination of walking (cliff type views preferred, not abroad of hills) and perhaps wind up somewhere coastal for supper. We can either come back on the ferry same day or get a b and b if it's worth it?

Any recommendations? We doing want to be legging it around.,,

Ta!

Hampshire
Level Contributor
176 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isle of Wight, overnight?

Hi there Its worth having a good look at red funnel site again. The Travel connection part is quite comprehensive I noted that Osbourne house is only 20 minutes walk and looks lovely from the water. I have sailed around the isle quite a bit and am looking forward to my first proper trip next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Enjoy x

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isle of Wight, overnight?

Working in Southampton city centre, I quite often pop over after work on a Friday evening for dinner (very often at "China China" in Cowes - good sea view) with my work colleagues.

Osborne house is a uphill walk. You can get a bus though (from outside Waitrose).

A day pass from the (one and only) bus company Southern Vectis costs £10. This is well worth it as single journeys are quite expensive, and I believe it includes the open top tour buses. Also, to get most places from Cowes you end up having to get a bus to Newport and changing at the bus station, so this can make things slow going (at least an hour to cross the island to Shanklin/Sandown, assuming you don't have to wait long at Newport. Maybe 2 hours if you miss your connection). If you want to visit Yarmouth, it is quicker to get the train to Lymington and cross to Yarmouth on the ferry fro there, than to cross the island on the bus from Cowes. So it's up to you whether you have enough time to explore or want to stay the night, but bear in mind though the buses (and also a train from Ryde to Shanklin) reach most places, the pace of island transport tends to be slow.

If there is somewhere you specifically want to visit, check it is open in October. Lots of attractions shut down for the winter. Osborn house appears to be open until 5th November.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isle of Wight, overnight?

Akkarin, Quickest way to get to Sandown/Shanklin from Cowes by bus.

Cowes - Newport

Newport - Ryde ( 9)

Ryde - Sandown/Shanklin ( 2 or 3)

This route usually has the quickest most frequent connections

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isle of Wight, overnight?

I will try that some other time, thank you. Once at Ryde, perhaps might as well get the train to Shanklin?

5. Re: Isle of Wight, overnight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2013, 10:15
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight