We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best attractions for a 20 month old!

Sunderland...
6 posts
Save Topic
Best attractions for a 20 month old!

Hi. We are visiting the IOW for a week in early July and are wondering which attractions people would think would be most suitable with a 20 month old little girl - walking, fearless and very active! Is somewhere like Robin Hill and Blackgang Chine worth the cost? We were thinking about Godshill Model Village and Butterfly World but noticed that Robin Hill has similar things in it but are they are as good? Decisions, decisions! Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance x

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,311 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best attractions for a 20 month old!

not sure even Blackgang Chine is that good for the very young age these days Rachelina, There is a donkey sanctuary near Ventor, the butterfly world that you mentioned, plus Godshill with a few more extras there than the model village. Robin Hill used to be good for the young but it's years since I went. Carisbrook Castle might appeal with the donkey in the well.

you can see a few pics of Black Gang on this thread, as we walked there, flick through to about halfway down

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6

another attraction is the Waltzing waters near Ryde, that's if it keeps your daughter's attention (coloured lights on fountains working to music) A walk down Shanklin Chine perhaps. The butterfly world should be ok, as there is a bit more around it.

Edited: 17 June 2013, 17:12
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best attractions for a 20 month old!

I think your 20 month old would be very happy on a sandy beach with a bucket and spade!

Seaview wildlife encounter www.seaviewwildlife.com/‎ is pushchair friendly and has something for all ages as does the Tiger Sanctuary at Sandown.

Sunderland...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best attractions for a 20 month old!

Thank you. We're planning at least one day with bucket and spade at a beach, even if we have to wear our wellies!

We've got the donkey sanctuary and seaview wildlife encounter on our list. Think we might stick with godshill and butterfly world as well and leave blackgang chine and robin hill till she's older.

Again thanks x

Sunderland...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best attractions for a 20 month old!

Forgot to say, have briefly seen waltzing waters,will have another look. Shank lion chine looked a bit steep for my liking!

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,311 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best attractions for a 20 month old!

there are youtube videos of waltzing waters for you to see if they are suitable, good place for when it's raining lol

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best attractions for a 20 month old!

Hi

I'd second the donkey sanctuary and add Amazon World at Newchurch which has lots of smaller animals but is interesting for the Adults as well. Personally I'd give Sandown Zoo a miss until shes a bit older

Others you might consider are Colemans Farm at Porchfield which has a a number of 'petting' animals and play areas, also for a wet day there are a couple of indoor play centres in newport & Sandown - Space island 7 Jungle Jims

if the suns out head to Sandown or Shanklin beaches for some bucket & spade fun or to Compton for a less developed beach - hope this helps

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,311 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best attractions for a 20 month old!

just a few things I put together that might be of interest including the donkey sanctuary, Carisbrooke Castle, Sandown to Shanklin walk, butterfly world and Alum Bay

holidayreviews.info/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=32

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,470 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best attractions for a 20 month old!

To follow from Iwsteve, For toddlers, my daughter and her friends prefer Jungle Jims over Space Island

Sunderland...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best attractions for a 20 month old!

Just realised what my earlier message said 0 damm autocorrect, shanklin chine looked a bit steep!!

Thanks everybody, I'll check out all your suggestions, very excited now, less than 3 weeks to go!

Edited: 19 June 2013, 17:23
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,311 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best attractions for a 20 month old!

no don't recall it being steep, only the price to get in at £5 if I remember lol

Edited: 19 June 2013, 17:58