We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car or bus?

Slough, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Car or bus?

Hi

Am about to be there over the coming bank holiday weekend and was wondering if it's better to hire a car or just rely on the local bus network to get around. My concerns are traffic conditions during peak holiday periods and the availability of public parking spaces. Wouldn't want to be stuck in traffic all the time or constantly searching for a parking lot.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,642 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car or bus?

Id' go with the excellent bus network. Individual fares aren't cheap but there are 24 and 48-hour Rover tickets and the network is comprehensive.

southernvectis.goahead.live.pancentric.net/

www.islandbuses.info/tickets/rover-tickets/

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,812 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car or bus?

I agree with Wirewiper.

There ia also a range of "Freedom" tickets, the 7 day one is good value even if only staying 3-4 days.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 10:06
Ryde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
106 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car or bus?

It's also the annual scooter rally, mostly affecting the east side of the Island, especially Ryde. Great to see all the fantastic scooters but a bit aggravating when trying to drive on main routes around Ryde. Give the bus a whirl!

Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car or bus?

My view is that it depends on what you want to do. If you only want to travel locally to where you are staying then the bus or train (Ryde Pier Head; Ryde; Ryde St. Johns Road; Brading; Sandown, Lake & Shanklin) will be fine. If you want to travel further afield and see more of the Island, then you will need a car. There are lots of beautiful places to see on the IOW, and frankly, it is near to impossible to visit them on public transport - which from my experience is not cheap anyway.

Slough, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car or bus?

great advice guys! thanks for your views!

6. Re: Car or bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 07:20
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight
Recent Conversations