We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi on the Isle of wight

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Wifi on the Isle of wight

Just a word of warning to those planning a visit to the Isle of Wight, mobile phones and wifi are not very dependable here, do your tripadvisor research BEFORE you go, you may not get signal when you want it on the Island, just a warning.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wifi on the Isle of wight

That's a rather sweeping statement!

My husband is on Tesco Mobile and has no problems on the Island. Ditto for me with Talk Mobile. Ditto for daughter and family with TalkTalk.

The only network that I know has had problems is Vodafone which has been bothersome all summer, though mainly around the Newport area, AFAIK this has now been sorted.

I would think that now most hotels and guest houses have wi-fi for guest use. As definitely do mcDs and Weatherspoons .

I believe parts of Ventnor and around Godshill may still have problem spots.

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Wifi on the Isle of wight

I totally agree with Rawtalent - I have EE (Orange/T-Mobile), my partner has Three Mobile and they work perfectly, and our internet is EE - no problems at all. We live in Ryde, but we've never had a problem anywhere on the Island.

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wifi on the Isle of wight

We have O2 and vodaphone and found them to be unavailable more times than they worked. As we like to use tripadvisor to plan our holiday days we found this made logging on difficult, I was simply warning other trip advisor users of this possible problem. We did not stay In Accommodation with wifi. I also read in your local press that it is a common problem for people who visit rather than live on the Island, and are possibly not on the best networks for coverage on the Isle Of Wight.

Chale, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wifi on the Isle of wight

As a mainlander who moved to the Isle of Wight a couple of years ago, who was also an IT consultant, I feel able to qualify this post. Firstly we are talking about THREE different technologies.

Mobile voice is generally OK in all the main towns and flat open areas but suffers in the more rural area and on many beaches on the south of the Island below the cliffs and in dips inland between the hills as mobile is essentially a "line of sight" technology.

Mobile 3G data is useless on Vodafone and O2 except on the north of the Island where I suspect the signal received is actually coming from the mainland; mobile 3G is actually pretty good on T-Mobile, EE and 3 throughout a large part of the Island (I get 4Mbits on 3 in the wilderness of South West Wight)

WIFI is entirely down to where you are. Many hotels have pretty rubbishy WiFi as they are in the bucket and spade market, not the business market, but you will still find lots of BT and Cloud hotspots etc in the towns just like the mainland and some places like Chale Bay Farm that cater for short breaks aimed at prefessionals have wall to wall WiFi backed by commercial wireless rather than rural ADSL internet links.

A word about Vodafone specifically, is that they have had some serious problems on the Island with both voice and data in recent months - and despite being arguably one of the best networks on the mainland are absolutely pants on the Isle of Wight (We were on Vodafone when we moved over and it was almost unusable for both voice and data - 3 came out best when we tested but EE wasn't in place then)

Edited: 10 September 2013, 18:29
Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wifi on the Isle of wight

Oops , well glad that cleared up, it was only a note to warn others to get their research done in case their signal wasn't up to it on the Island, I do appear to have hit a nerve.

Edited: 10 September 2013, 22:18
London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wifi on the Isle of wight

It's not a matter of 'hitting a nerve' - it's about giving out the correct information rather than making sweeping statements and condemning the whole Island just because of a bad experience with Vodaphone/O2 (who had a known and temporary problem).

This Island is highly dependent on tourism, and incorrect and damaging statements can have a detrimental effect on our economy.

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wifi on the Isle of wight

I read and use tripadvisor to get helpful hints. The information I provide is based on My Personal Experience, bad signal strength and unavailable signal was My Experience.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
11,822 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wifi on the Isle of wight

It's pehaps best to say the places you didnt get a signal in, I had the same problem in Lynmouth Devon under the cliffs and report it on TA but it wasnt a problem in other parts and said so on my report

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wifi on the Isle of wight

I visit the Island a number of times a year and for a location with some difficult terrain on the whole service is pretty good compared with many places on the Mainland. I use Three Mobile so maybe it depends on your mobile provider.

isle of wight
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wifi on the Isle of wight

in parts of shanklin there has been no Vodafone or talkmobile signal for w/ks they use the same mast and the excuse they gave me its an over grown tree blocking the mast signal what a load of cods wallop...never use them again....

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight