We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry - general price queries

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,085 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry - general price queries

I've read previous posts etc & have had a look at both Wightlink & Red Funnel's websites and am still somewhat lost and would appreciate some general pointers. For a standard car and two passengers broadly when is cheapest or dearest times or days of week to travel. We're thinking of a few days in May (between the bank holiday weeks) and short of providing car registration number (which I don't want to do at this stage) it seems impossible to get a feel for costs. Thanks.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry - general price queries

I'm afraid its how long is a piece of string! There are no general pointers. As long as you know what size bracket your vehicle falls into it is possible to find prices on both ferry websites. These prices can differ wildly between both companies. You do not have to enter your registration details.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,085 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry - general price queries

Rawtalent - thank you, but when I try Wightlink at:

https:/…

it won't go further without a reg. number or is there another page I haven't spotted?

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry - general price queries

Make a reg up and it will let you onto the next page.

Saddleworth, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry - general price queries

Much depends on where you're travelling from and where you are heading for. From the North the Red Funnel crossing from Southampton is the most accessible because the route down from Oxford is mostly dual carriage and motorway (A34, M3, M27, M270). From the end of the motorway on the edge of Southampton the dual carriageway goes straight to the terminal. The drive to Lymington can take another hour through the New Forest - heavy and slow traffic normally. To Portsmouth is another long extra journey but if you are coming from London it is convenient. Prices are comparable regardless of the length of crossing (Southampton - 60 mins, Portsmouth - 40 mins, Lymington - 30 mins). Evenings are cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Southampton
Southampton
Hampshire, UK
Oxford
Oxford
Oxfordshire, UK
Lymington
Lymington
New Forest, UK
The New Forest
The New Forest
327 Reviews
Ashurst, UK
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hampshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry - general price queries

Sorry, prices are not comparable at all. You need to look carefully at both companies website. Just a few weeks ago my daughter was taking a car to the mainland, for a similar timed return crossing there was a £50+ difference in fare cost.

6. Re: Ferry - general price queries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 05:19