We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend break 4 to 6 july- where to stay, what to do etc

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Weekend break 4 to 6 july- where to stay, what to do etc

Hi all, booked train tickets from London Waterloo-Cowes on Friday 4th July for 2 nights. I take it that my train ticket covers the ferry crossing too?

I'm arriving at 8pm. Is that still early enough to each a suitable destination? Where do you suggest we stay? Budget is not a major issue, just want somewhere decent and not too pricey. Not bothered whether its b&b/hotel/caravan etc

Any suggestions on how to pass the time for both days? Open to all suggestions. Never visited the island before. We're a couple in our 30's.

Ryde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend break 4 to 6 july- where to stay, what to do etc

If your train ticket shows Cowes as the destination then yes, it would include the crossing. However, I'm not sure how you get from Ryde (where the ferry will bring you to) and Cowes as there is no train between Ryde and Cowes. I would be surprised if your train tickets will be valid on the Island buses.

As for accommodation (in Cowes) you could try ringing the Union Inn (01983 293163) which is just off the High Street and Parade. If they can't help you, i'm sure they will suggest other places.

To be honest Ryde would of been a better base to explore the Island from as you can get a bus from there to practically anywhere. There is also the train that will take you as far as Shanklin.

You could grab a brochure from the multiple dispenser racks at the ferry terminal for info on the many attractions and activities on the Island for ideas what to do.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend break 4 to 6 july- where to stay, what to do etc

The usual tourist route would be Waterloo - Portsmouth then the Wightlink catamaran to Ryde.

However if you are booked to Cowes then you will be catching the train from Waterloo to Southampton then the Red Funnel Red Jet to West Cowes.

Although Cowes is lovely, As #1 suggests Ryde would have been the better place to base yourself because of its transport links, restaurants, pubs etc.....maybe you can change your ticket.

3. Re: Weekend break 4 to 6 july- where to stay, what to do etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight
Recent Conversations