We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused - Pls Suggest

New Delhi
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Confused - Pls Suggest

Hi - I am going to London for a vacation for 10 days along with my wife, 3 year old kid and parents (Age in 60s).. Ouf of 10 days, I am staying in London for 8 days and have kept 2 days in between open to travel to a beach destination near London.. I am confused between Brighton & Isle of Wight but after reading TA am getting more inclined to travel to IOW for 2 nights.. I have a few questions on which I was looking for answers:

I would prefer a direct train from London to a port near IOW (Which station should I choose), I and my family really dont want to change trains?

How can I book ferry tickets, Do I have to do it in advance or once I get down at a train station I can buy tickets, which option would be cheaper and easier?

As I have 2 days only (which should have been more but unfortunately I booked non refundable rooms in LON :-(... so which part of IOW would be ideal to stay in which would be closer to major attractions, I have heard places there are fun places for kids in IOW

We are looking for a nice hotel which would be closer to the ferry point that takes us back to the train station from where we need to take our train back to London, again, prefer no train changes on our way back..

Pls suggest

With Kindest Regards

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,065 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused - Pls Suggest

Buy a train from London Waterloo to Ryde Esplanade. This includes the ferry crossing and the little train up Ryde Pier.

You get off the train from London at the final station ( Portsmouth Harbour ) and just walk to the Wightlink terminal for the ferry ( catamaran actually). When you reach Ryde pierhead, walk out to the train platform and catch the train, 1 stop, to The Esplanade.

I would advise you look for accommodation in Ryde, as the transport hub is good for getting buses around the Island. Purchase a 48 hour bus pass, a Family pass will be your cheapest option.

see www.islandbuses/info

Ryde has some nice beaches and restaurants

england
Level Contributor
5,859 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused - Pls Suggest

Lovely as the Isle of Wight is it's a long trek just to find an attraction for your daughter. You could visit Southampton (coastal but no beach) or Bournemouth and take a taxi here https://paultonspark.co.uk/ or Broadstairs in Kent

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,065 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused - Pls Suggest

Admittedly its another 25 mins or so to get to the Island as opposed to Bournemouth or Broadstairs but at only 2 hrs 20 mins London Waterloo to Ryde Esplanade. it's hardly a long trek, especially to get to somewhere with such wonderful scenery and attractions.

There are several hotels and GHs within 100m of the train station, bus hub and the beach.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 21:47
New Delhi
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused - Pls Suggest

Thanks Rawtalent and Buzzard2000.. I loved pics of broadstairs and bournemouth and there are direct trains to these places from London involving no ferries so it's turning out to be 100 quids cheaper than IOW for 4 adults.. I know it's stupid to compare but for 2 days I want an incredibly beautiful beach destination.. What's the difference between IOW and Broadstairs and Bournemouth.. Which out of these would be a nice beautiful laid back place to relax? Thanks!

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,065 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused - Pls Suggest

Have you compared accommodation prices as well?

New Delhi
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused - Pls Suggest

Yes Ratalent, decided on bournemouth finally..

7. Re: Confused - Pls Suggest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 11:17
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight