We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tall ships Race Finish line Viewing Points?

Solihull, West...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tall ships Race Finish line Viewing Points?

I will be on the Isle of Wight on 3/9/14 which according to the tall ships race website is the day the race will finish at the needles. However there is no information about approx. times or what route the ships will take from Falmouth. Would greatly appreciate any advice about best place to view the ships finish the race on the island.

Ryde, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
26 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tall ships Race Finish line Viewing Points?

I've just taken a look on the Tall Ships website and can't see any mention of the Needles, can you provide a link and i'll look into it for you?

Solihull, West...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tall ships Race Finish line Viewing Points?

This is the website that mentions the Needles royalgreenwich.gov.uk/tallships/info/1/ships

Portsmouth, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Tall ships Race Finish line Viewing Points?

The 2014 Tall Ships Regatta starts off Falmouth on Sunday 31 August at 1600hrs and the race finishes when ships cross a line from St Catherine’s Point for 5 nautical miles due south. (St Catherine’s Point is the southerly most point of the Isle of Wight). The ships will be racing from Falmouth and will therefore be crossing the finish line at different times, some of them at night and so would not be visible from shore. Ships will in all likelihood be well spread out by the time they cross the finish line.

The total fleet is 50 vessels. Some, but not all, are large square rigged ships. The largest is the Polish ship, Dar Mlodziezy at 108 metres length overall. Half a dozen others are in the range 60 – 80 metre length overall. The rest vary from 50 metres or less down to the smallest class in which we have several of less than 20 metres.

Sadly this will not be a huge spectacle for any observer on the Isle of Wight (or indeed any other part of the coast along the way). There is no plan for the ships to come into the Solent through the Needles Channel. On completion of the race off St Catherine’s Point ships will be making their way directly to the Borough of Royal Greenwich on the Thames.

If you want to see the Tall Ships they will be in Falmouth from Thursday 28 to Sunday 31 August and in Royal Greenwich from Friday 5 to Tuesday 9 September. You can find further information at sailtraininginternational.org/events/2014-fa…

Race Director

Falmouth – Royal Greenwich Tall Ships Regatta

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,156 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tall ships Race Finish line Viewing Points?

Well that's a huge disappointment for the Island.

isle of Wight
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tall ships Race Finish line Viewing Points?

We run charter catamarans from Ventnor and are the closest harbour to the finish line. We can track the vessels and head out to see some of the finishes or even just off of Ventnor. I'm on 07980986232: www.oceanblueseacharters.co.uk if you would like to contact me direct.

6. Re: Tall ships Race Finish line Viewing Points?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Wight