We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

The last ever British International Helicopter will touch down back at Penzance at around 6.00 this evening. That is the end of almost 50 years of helicopters to Scilly. thisiscornwall.co.uk/Final-Isles-Scilly-heli…

A sad day, and the loss of a vital link. How will Scilly tourism be affected in the coming months?

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

I agree Badcat it is a very sad day. The Isles of Scilly are very special. My holiday was made even more special by the thrill of going by helicopter. Unfortunately over the last few years this option has become too expensive and unreliable. BIH (and/or the government) have not been prepared to invest enough to ensure the service remains viable. The outrageous situation over moving the heliport just added to the problem. I feel for the islanders who will now have even more difficulty accessing the services on the mainland.

london
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

such a shame, I did the helicopter journey twice and it was magic ... what will the islanders do now?

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

They will have to rely on the fixed wing Skybus and Scillonian ferry, though the ferry doen't run in the winter. The Skybus doesn't fly in bad weather which the chopper did, so they face periods in the winter months where the islands will be effectively cut off.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

I agree they're going to be worst off why the mess for the heliport could be down to a Supermarket chain wanting the space really takes the biscuit.

Essex
Level Contributor
26,734 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

market forces

market forces!

I have never been to the Scillies, but also have never been in a Helicopter...

This might have been my "one and only" chance (for the helicopter that is)

Oh well, still time for the Scillies!!

Maybe there will be a 'Tesco' helicopter if the supermarket catches on?? (Tesco for Tresco??)

The 'dangleway' AKA the Emirates Airline Cable Car in London is sponsored by private enterprise, after all....

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

Maybe someone would replace them at some point even by buying the air crafts that have been used on that route.

Isles of Scilly
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

Hi there everyone,

Just a quick note to remind visitors that Scilly is open for business and that despite the loss of the heli there are several transport options.

Isles of Scilly Travel offer direct flights to the St. Mary's from Lands End, Newquay and Exeter. The Journey time varies from 15 minutes from Land's End to 1hr from Exeter to Scilly. The have lots scheduled flights throughout the day and the small planes seat between 8 and 18 passengers so you really feel that you have your own plane and pilot! Isles of Scilly travel have a a great team that you can contact on 0845 710 5555

The ferry also runs from March to November and sails from Penzance to St. Mary's. The journey takes 2hrs 40 mins and provides a superb perspective on the SWest. I love the view of Minack Theatre and Tater Dhu lighthouse, and as you head into open sea you can sometimes see porpoise, as you approach the islands. Contact number 0845710 5555

First Great Western offer a super combined ticket for those of you who wish to travel by train, you have to book by phone and the number is 08457 000 125.

The other thing is our TIC here on Scilly is here to help. If you have travel queries, or questions about how to get here or what to do give our ladies a call. They can offer great advice on all aspects of travel and there aren't many questions they've not been asked! Call 01720 424 031.

Look forward to seeing you all in 2013.

All the best

Isles of Scilly TIC,

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,475 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

The heliport at Penzance is no more. Completely flattened to make way for yet another supermarket.

There have been mutterings about a possible new helicopter link next year, but discussions are in a very early stage, as there are many obstacles to overcome, such as a new heliport on the main land, finding an operator and trying to fix a price that will break even yet not be prohibitive. I have heard that Augusta Westland have a suitable new chopper available for the route if an operator can be found.

Isles of Scilly
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

This is the latest news about the helicopter - dated 26th April from the Scilly Today island news website:

scillytoday.com/2013/…

Clearly there is a lot of activity going on 'behind the scenes' as it were - who knows what will happen?

10. Re: Helicopter link to Scilly RIP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Isles of Scilly