We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Scilly with a dog in Dec

Leeds
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Scilly with a dog in Dec

Heya,

We are going to Cornwall in Dec and thinking whether to do a day trip or stay over for a night or two in Scilly with our dog.

Seems the ferry will not be running in Dec, so it left Skybus or Heli. Does anyone know if we need to bring our own airline box or not? Also, will the dog able to see us during the flight?

Heli is around 20 mins and very noisy, what about skybus?

If we mainly want to walk around to see lovely scenery and to have yum seafood, should we stay overnight? The worry is that there's a 15kg per person allowance, and it seems a lot to bring along to staying over (dog's bed, bowl, etcetc).

For a day trip, other than St Mary, would there be any chance to go to another island (or two?) ? If so, which one is the most worthgoing one - with a dog?

Thanks very much!!!

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Scilly with a dog in Dec

There are no longer and helicopter services to the IOS. Skybus do allow dogs, check out their website

www.islesofscilly-travel.co.uk/dogs.asp

Rob

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Scilly with a dog in Dec

ok, as said above, no helicopters anymore, they ceased a year ago. So Skybus is your only option in Dec. See the link in post 1 for details of taking your dog. The plane is no where near as noisy as the chopper used to be. I'm pretty sure your dog will be with you in the cabin in an animal 'box'

The problem currently is Land End airport still has a grass runway now due to be tarmacked next year and they suffer from waterlogging and low cloud. Newquay is the best chance of flying from. Its about 25 mins down the North Cornwall coast then over Lands End to Scilly.

I would leave it as late as possible to book and see what the weather is looking like as delays and cancellations are common in the winter.

You may be able to get to one of the other islands, it depends whats running in Dec.

In my opinion its worth going if you get reasonable weather as the islands are beautiful and special, but if its typical Dec weather, rain, wind, I wouldn't bother. I have had a great week over in late Nov before, so it is possible, but its lot of money and possible delays if the weather is bad, and you won't get to see the beauty of the islands.

if you need any more info, just ask.

Leeds
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Scilly with a dog in Dec

thanks guys!!

will head down to cornwall around mid dec, and guess will book the trip down there depends the weather!

the dog never fly before so we are a bit worry!! he has only been on ferry crossing the irish sea couple of times!

newquay airport would be our pick as we will be staying close to newquay :D

if we are only hanging around st mary's, is it worth hiring a golf buggy or it's better off on foot?

thanks!

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Scilly with a dog in Dec

As long as you like a decent walk, you will see much more by walking. the buggys are only for the roads so you won't see many places with one. There is a coast path around the island, or you can take a bus or taxi to the top and walk the coast back, it depends how much walking you want to do.

The Garrison with Star Castle is a good little walk from the quay, or start from the airport.You can easily do a decent circular walk from there to Old Town Bay then back the road to the harbour. The pubs will be open and provisions shops, though some of the 'tourist 'type places may be shut. If you do go, and get down to the quay/harbour you will be able to find out if there are any boat trips operating to any other islands. Have a look at this site for lots of info. http://www.scillyonline.co.uk/scilly.html

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,499 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Scilly with a dog in Dec

Some of that my post didn't make sense when I read it back. Obviously you will be arriving at the airport not the quay, so you can either walk from there and head down towards the town via Old Town and the coast, or get a taxi down to the town (Hughtown) and start from there. Its not a big island and its all walkable if you are fairly mobile. Sorry if I've confused you!

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Scilly with a dog in Dec

You can get dog equipment ie bed, blanket, towels, bowls from www.vetsupportgroup.co.uk which saves you taking it all with you. The flight is only 20 mins and I understand you take your dog on and put it in the crate before they start the engine and before the other passengers get on. My friend has taken theirs many times and it works well. We are taking ours for the first time next summer.

7. Re: Going to Scilly with a dog in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Isles of Scilly