We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-time visitors - lunch options

Lon
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
First-time visitors - lunch options

Hi everyone - we are going to the Isles of Scilly over the Easter weekend for my husband's birthday. We are flying out to St Mary's on the morning of Friday the 18th (and have dinner booked at Juliet's that evening), and then taking the ferry out to Penzance on Saturday the 19th.

I'm now looking around for breakfast / lunch options for the Friday and Saturday - I'm a little devastated that Adam's Fish & Chips appears to be shut for the season, but I have been researching the Boatman's Association and we are keen to island hop. There are so many options though (and as we're just at the beginning of the season, opening times are a bit tricky!) so happy to work off of other people's recommendations.

As I said, we'll be at Juliet's on Friday evening and we have another nice dinner planned in Penzance for Saturday evening, so I'm not looking for a huge meal, but something casual, featuring fresh seafood and British produce would be ideal - doesn't have to be fancy (we love food trucks!) but absolutely needs to be tasty! Places which we could walk to / around (we love walking to discover new places) are a bonus.

Thanks so much in advance!

Camborne, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First-time visitors - lunch options

Kavorna Cafe does a nice breakfast, you would be ideally placed then to check the quay for tripper boats. The Tolman in Old Town serves tasty lunches with a nice garden that overlooks Old Town beach. Also there's Carn Vean Cafe up towards Pelistry if you wanted a longer walk, again they have a garden if the weather is kind. Not quite so sure off island as we tend to take a picnic with us. In all cases phone/check websites to make sure of opening days and times to avoid disappointment!

Lon
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First-time visitors - lunch options

This is very helpful - I hadn't thought to pack a picnic when going off island, and now very excited about the prospect of doing so! Do you have any suggestions for picking up picnic items (or is it as exotic as it is on the mainland - i.e. just go to the grocery store!)? Thanks very much!

Edited: 09 April 2014, 18:21
Camborne, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First-time visitors - lunch options

Yes a visit to the Co Op is about as exotic as we get! If you're staying in a hotel they may be able to provide food, otherwise you can buy made up sandwiches in the supermarket and other places, then we add crisps, some fruit, biscuits (not choc) and plenty of water. That way you can stop where/when you want to eat. If you have a rucksack it's easy to carry things and you will fit right in! Sort your food early as you don't want to be in the Co Op much after 9.30am as it can be bedlam! If you then find somewhere you want to grab a coffee or ice cream and use their facilities great but you won't be searching for refreshment.

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First-time visitors - lunch options

The butcher used to sell very good pasties. Wrap it up in something and it should keep warm

Camborne, United...
Level Contributor
340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First-time visitors - lunch options

Yes, we've had them in the past and they were lovely but they were pretty filling if you were planning on going out for a nice meal in the evening. I did suggest to my husband that we shared one between two but being a born and bred Cornishman he couldn't ever bring himself to do that!

Hugh Town, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First-time visitors - lunch options

Hi there, I'm Carolyn from the Islands' Partnership (the tourism body for the Isles of Scilly). We can thoroughly recommend a number of options in addition to those already mentioned. Old Town Cafe is lovely right on Old Town Beach. The Turks Head on St Agnes has possibly the best views of any pub if you want a day trip out there (They also do pasties at lunch time.) Back on St Mary's how about Kaffeehaus - a German cafe up in High Lanes offering excellent light lunches. Spero's offers nice lunches - it's located in an old boat shed (done up!!) right on Porthmellon Beach. If you want more suggestions, let me know!

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,015 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First-time visitors - lunch options

The Bavarian Kaffeehaus is amazing. If you like apfelstrudel you will be in heaven.

Southampton
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First-time visitors - lunch options

We visited the Mermaid on 3 occasions when we were on the Scillies last summer, although that was for dinner rather than lunch, so not sure what the lunch menu is like. The restaurant has nice views over the harbour though.

9. Re: First-time visitors - lunch options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Isles of Scilly