We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isles of Scilly with a young child

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Isles of Scilly with a young child

Hi really tempted by a holiday in Isles of Scilly with my (currently) 2 year old son - have been looking at Bryher but would consider any island if my hankering to wake up and race outside straight onto a beach with him can be realised.....any suggestions of self catering accommodation that can make my dream come true please. Would be willing to book for 2015 or beyond if needed to get the ideal setting. Also my little boy would be a bit older too...His age is also the reason why I haven't seriously considered hotels (to avoid disturbing other guests).... but Hell Bay looks amazing - would it be a suitable option (as meals are included and I really appreciate excellent quality food and I don't have to worry about shopping and cooking) but could we really be at home there. Any advice gratefully received....

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Isles of Scilly with a young child

I have not stayed in the Hell Bay only eaten there. There are always plenty of children around and the atmosphere is relaxed. However IMO it is pricey but only you can judge if it is within your budget. If all you want to do is sit on the beach then staying in one place is a good idea but possibly your little boy would love to go on the boats to other islands. They are all different in character and catching a boat in the morning is part of the fun. You can do this from Bryher but the more varied service is from St Mary's. In addition self catering is easier there because there are more shops, pubs and restaurants. Generally the attitude towards children is relaxed especially in the early evening when they are welcome just about everywhere.

There are lots of properties very close to the beach but research is necessary to find the right one. If you find something you like post the details and maybe someone will be able to tell you more but beware many people book from year to year and owners like to protect their regulars.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,454 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isles of Scilly with a young child

You are never more than a minute from a golden sandy beach in Scilly. It is magical for children.

Accommodation is very limited and if you want to visit during school holidays, there are waiting lists (years long) for many properties.

Forget shopping. Apart from Hugh Town most islands only have one shop.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isles of Scilly with a young child

Hell Bay is an amazing place. I have stayed there once and its one of the most memorable places I have stayed anywhere in my life. I have also eaten there on other occasions.

It is expensive, but you won't find any where else like it easily.

Have you looked at Tresco as an alternative? HellBay is part of Tresco estate even though its on Bryher. Have a look at this if you haven't already http://www.tresco.co.uk/

Hugh Town, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Isles of Scilly with a young child

Have you had a look at the new website for the Scilly - www.visitislesofscilly.com ? The Things to Do section should give you some ideas for getting out and about with kids. The first time I visited the Scillies was with my 3 year old and 1 year old. We stayed at Bay Watch (self catering) on Tresco - literally a stone's throw from the beach which meant being able to let the baby sleep in its cot in the day and you could still be on the beach with the other one! The most relaxing holiday we have ever had with small children in tow. Previous comments are right...children are very welcome in most places and they will love the freedom that you are able to give them. We stayed in a fabulous self catering farmhouse on St Agnes the following year (kids 2 and 4) and again, so chilled. Great cafes and possibly one of the best pubs on Scilly on St Agnes (Turks Head). Hell Bay on Bryher is excellent - and yes they cater to children brilliantly. There is no hotel on St Martin's at the moment - but various self catering options. And as previously stated, St Mary's is a great base if you want to go on daily adventures but wherever you decide to stay on Scilly with children, you're bound to have a great time... and unlike in the past, you don't really have to book up too far in advance these days.

5. Re: Isles of Scilly with a young child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2016, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Isles of Scilly