We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days in Kent - what to do?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
24 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Two days in Kent - what to do?

Hi

we are in London in September this year and we would like to take a 2 day driving tour to visit the Kent countryside. Does any have any tips on must-see's / do's? Also looking for a quintessential pub / guest house stay if anyone has any recommendations.

Thanks

rural Ohio
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days in Kent - what to do?

You might like to check out the castles in Kent. Leeds Castle near Maidstone on the way down to Dover Castle with the wonderful view across the Channel (and the War Rooms under the castle area) Drive north along the coast and see Deal Castle (to me it is shaped like a flower) Then cut back toward the west and see Canterbury (cathedral and St. Augustine's Abbey) I'm sure there are plenty more places in Kent to see.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
24 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days in Kent - what to do?

thanks - and that gives me a bit of a driving router as well! Much appreciated!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days in Kent - what to do?

Ah now. Trillian on here stayed at a GORGEOUS place in Kent recently, and reasonably priced too. Send her a PM, and she can tell you which one. I'll try and contact her aswell to let you know. I saw the website, and it was lovely. I just can't remember the name!

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London
Level Contributor
6,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days in Kent - what to do?

Yayyy! Found it. Trills absolutely raved about it.

http://www.theoldkentbarn.co.uk/index.html

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two days in Kent - what to do?

Are you looking for countryside specifically, or coast, towns or historical sites too? (You are spoilt for choice in Kent with all these!)

I am more au fait with east Kent, some of my favourite countryside here is:

1.the North Downs hills near Wye,

2.the orchards and hop fields around the villages of Boughton Under Blean, Hernhill and Selling near Faversham - look out for the traditional Kent oast houses

3.the White Cliffs at Dover,

4.along the Royal Military Canal by the village of Appledore (the canalside road from Appledore to Rye is lovely) and the Romney Marsh nearby,

5.Stodmarsh National Nature Reserve deep in the back-of-beyond near Canterbury,

6.Oare Marshes nature reserve by Faversham (a great coastal landscape).

Some other lovely roads are the B2068 "Stone Street" from Hythe to Canterbury (an old Roman route over the North Downs) and the A28 Canterbury-Ashford road along the Stour river valley (do the short detour through Godmersham village - beautiful!). Chilham, also just off this road, is the most quintessential Kent village you'll see!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two days in Kent - what to do?

you may find this useful for ideas:

http://www.kentdowns.org.uk/

London, England
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two days in Kent - what to do?

I endorse Ohio's castles idea, especially as it takes in the whole County of Kent, from London to the (east) coast with views of France from Dover and Deal; and if you run short of time, there are two fast roads back- the A2/M2 and the M20, both ending up in South-East London.

Don't stay overnight in Dover; its very much a moving through place, but do go north from there, to Deal- a quaint 950's timewarp place with no high buildings and no McDonalds (get a sense of the timelessness of the place from the homespun Council website at http://www.deal.gov.uk)- and on to Sandwich - a mediaeval port now stranded inland - and nearby Richborough Castle - the 2000 year old remains of the Roman gateway to Britain; well worth a stop on your 'castles tour'.

Both Deal and Sandwich are halfway points on your two day tour, and worth a stopover- Deal has better restaurant: I like 81 Beach Street near the pier, the Three Compasses, an even better pub restaurant 200 yards north of the pier on the sea front, Jasins end of the pier restauarant for that real brit seaside cafe experience, or the excellent Chequers restaurant on the dunes a mile north of town if you fancy a bracing sea walk (and cheap taxi back -only open weekends off season). Or try any of the many 18th and 19th century pubs in town. Best places to stay are the Royal Hotel, Beach Street. tel 00441304 375555 with seaside balconies, or the rooms attached to the Kings Head pub, at 9 Beach Street tel 00441304 368194 ; the same views for half the price.

And if you have time, pop int Broadstairs 10 miles further North, past Sandwich and Richborough, for its Dickens connections - the Old Curiosity Shop and Bleak House.

UK
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two days in Kent - what to do?

A similar thread from a fellow countryman/woman. More ideas on there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186310-i1033-k261…

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Two days in Kent - what to do?

Visit countryside places such as Goudhurst, Sissinghurst, Biddenden & Tenterden.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Two days in Kent - what to do?

I forgot to mention Cranbrook as well, quaint town with a windmill. This part of the Kent countryside you will see lots of traditional oast houses & windmills.