We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with kids when staying on Isle of Sheppey

Chelmsford, Essex
2 posts
Save Topic
Things to do with kids when staying on Isle of Sheppey

We are staying on the Isle of Sheppey in October for a week with our 4 children, 18m, 2.5yrs, 7 yrs and 13 yrs.

We are struggling to find things to do! We have transport so about an hour or so away would be fine.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!

Thank you in advance.

Luci x

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,250 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do with kids when staying on Isle of Sheppey

The wicked thought crosses my mind is that Chelmsford is about an hour's drive from the Isle of Sheppey.

I am also really struggling. October is definitely out of season, according to my friends who have a caravan at Eastchurch.

We shall have to ponder this one.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do with kids when staying on Isle of Sheppey

Apart from Sheerness leisure centre, I think you'll have to head back to the mainland. The young ones might enjoy Farming World near Junction 7 of the M2.

http://www.farming-world.com/

Otherwise head for Medway, where there are lots of family attractions such as the Historic Dockyard at Chatham, Dickens World, and Rochester Castle.

Just outside Strood is Diggerland.

www.diggerland.com/visiting/AboutKent.htm

There is an ice-rink at Gillingham and a dry-ski centre at Chatham.

There is go-karting at Sittingbourne (only suitable for the 13yo)

www.bayfordkarting.co.uk/content.php/320

Chelmsford, Essex
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do with kids when staying on Isle of Sheppey

Thank you for those ideas, we will definately look into them. i was beginning to think we had made a big mistake with kent but hopefully we can turn it around!

diggerland sounds fantastic, gonna have a look at the website now. Thank you again.

Any more ideas that pop up let me know!! x

Luci x

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do with kids when staying on Isle of Sheppey

You could also zip down the A249 to Maidstone, roughly same distance as the Medway area. Just of the M20 is Leeds Castle, one of the UK's most visited attractions and fairly well geared up for families. There is also the Museum of Kent Life with various attractions although petting zoos are not currently getting good press!

If all else fails there is shopping - Maidstone town centre is not the prettiest but has the Fremlins Walk centre with lots of big names. The town centres at Sheerness, Sittingbourne, Chatham and Gillingham are not really worth it. There are out of town centres at Hempstead Valley near Gillingham and the Dockside Outlet centre at Chatham Maritime. Don't forget there is Bluewater about half way between Chelmsford and Sheppey which you could do on the way down or way back home.

5. Re: Things to do with kids when staying on Isle of Sheppey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2010, 04:18