We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November adventure: could use some advise

Sinking Spring...
Level Contributor
35 posts
382 reviews
Save Topic
November adventure: could use some advise

Our daughter is studying abroad in London this fall, which gave us the excuse to visit the area with our youngest daughter. We are staying in London a few days, and then I would like to travel to Rochester, down to Leeds, to Bodiam Castle, and then head up to Tonbridge and Hever Castle.

Can anyone tell me where the best place to arrange to rent a car would be?

After reviewing quite a bit of information, I realize that many of the sights close at the end of Sept, or Oct. But, I have managed to find some places that are actually still open for us to see.

But, what does one do in the evening? Will we be stuck having to stay in a hotel room? This might sound silly, but I would like to see as much as I possibly can in this short time, and I would also like to expose my daughters to much of the English countryside in this area.

My husband and I traveled to this area about six years ago, and we so enjoyed the hospitality offered by every person we met. But, it was summer, and we were perfectly content just admiring the countryside.

Any advise, sidetrips, places to stay, or see would be greatly appreciated.

We plan to travel in late November.

maidstone kent UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November adventure: could use some advise

Hi most the big towns in Kent have car hire If you are staying in london though i would suggest picking up a car there as london to kent is an easy journey via either the M20 or M2 .Late November can be odd weather at the moment its pretty mild still there are still leaves on the tres . there are plenty of attractions still open this time of the year most National Trust propertys ( have you looked on their website?)as well as places like John Aspinalls wildlife parks at Howletts near Canterbury and Port Lympne near Hythe . I would suggest Bed and Breakfast for real kent charm for places to stay although Abbots Fireside near canterbury and littlestone Romney Bay house I would highly reccommend for a real Kent feel!!The coast is very rugged at this time of the year and wrapping up warm is strongly suggested if you decide to venture that far! if you are going to Bodiam it might be worth going on to rye if you like quaint old cobblestone streets etc. Tenterden is also a picturesque stop over, there are a good variety of shops there too.... The evenings hmm Kent does have theatre in most main towns as well as alot of good resturants i would suggest looking at some town websites for links .Its christmas run up like most places so you may need to consider booking somethings in advance .How about an old fashioned English Pantomine?

Ok enough I hope this helps a bit.

Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November adventure: could use some advise

Try checking the website:

www.heartofkent.org.uk

This has information on accommodation of all types around Kent and places to visit etc.