We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rudyard Kipling's Bateman's via Public Transport

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
88 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Rudyard Kipling's Bateman's via Public Transport

I would like to visit Kipling's home this spring. I'll be without a car, and will need to rely on public transport. I note that the nearest train station is Etchingham. Should I use this station and rely on taxi service to and from Bateman's. Or Turnbridge Wells?

Thanks for any guidance.

Tom

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rudyard Kipling's Bateman's via Public Transport

According to the National Trust website there is a 318 bus that goes from outside Etchingham station to Uckfield. You then have to walk from Uckfield to Batemans, but I think it's only about a 15 minute walk. Here's a link -

nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-fi…

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rudyard Kipling's Bateman's via Public Transport

Sorry, it's Burwash, not Uckfield. Get off the bus at Burwash and walk to Batemans.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,833 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rudyard Kipling's Bateman's via Public Transport

I know the area. It's about 3 miles from Etchingham to Burwash, say 45 minutes walk at a good step.

The buses run about every 2 hours, none on Sundays or holidays.

There are two buses, numbers 318 and 319 operated by Renown Coaches.

Go to http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/ click on 'find a timetable' enter route number 318 or 319 then then 318 /319 Uckfield to Etchingham. You can get downloadable and printable PDF format timetables.

I hope that helps and enjoy your trip.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rudyard Kipling's Bateman's via Public Transport

In case you are unfamiliar with the area, Etchingham is on the railway line between London and Hastings.

Uk
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rudyard Kipling's Bateman's via Public Transport

Hi Tom

The 318/319 Bus runs from Etchingham station to Burwash (top of the road from Batemans near the BP station - about 10mins walk down hill). Frequency is about every two hours but check www.renowncoaches.co.uk website timetable section. No Sunday service.

Alternatively, book a cab in advance with Adam Jacobs, Etchingham's taxi operator on 01580 819404.

6. Re: Rudyard Kipling's Bateman's via Public Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2010, 05:15