We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks to Kent forum TA folk!

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Thanks to Kent forum TA folk!

A vote of thanks to Bayboy, Tarry and Essex W.

We had a lovely 8 days in Kent using St Margarets, as a base and used many of your ideas. We even had fab weather.

We went to: Sandwich and the Roman ruins nearby, Deal including the castle, Canterbury - most time spent in the Cathedral, Rye, Battle, Dover Castle, Walmer Castle, narrow gauge railway to Dungeness.

Also did an over night across the channel - first day Ghent, second day in Bruges.

Busy bees as you can see and we had a lovely time!

Thanks again for your help in planning our trip.

I'm obviously not an expert but if anyone wants to ask anything about the places we visited, please ask. I'll do what I can.

My main tip would be to join English Heritage before visiting the area as most places we went to were for "free"

Mentioned in this post
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
Dungeness
Dungeness
Kent, UK
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,631 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks to Kent forum TA folk!

I'm glad you had a good time and pleased that I have helped you :) You did pick the right week for your holiday, the beginning of September has been lovely :) What was your highlight of your trip? :)

Essex
Level Contributor
30,093 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks to Kent forum TA folk!

Glad you had a good time - you did well with your travels by the look of things!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,042 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks to Kent forum TA folk!

Thank you for providing feedback and for your kind words.

Glad that you had a great time in this corner of the country and across the Channel too.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks to Kent forum TA folk!

Hi Tarry,

Regarding highlights -

Canterbury Cathedral. We spent hours there,a whole day is needed, to see the building and in the surprisingly lovely and spacious grounds

The paid for guided tour with a lovely gentleman was well worth the money, we did that first and then explored on our own.

Once paid and in, you get a sticker ,which means you can leave to go and get lunch in the city and then return hassle free for as long as you like.

Something we really liked was that every hour on the hour visitors are asked to stand still just for 2 minutes to remember that they are visiting God's house. More churches and Cathedrals should do that.

Only regret was that because we had a dinner booking for that evening in Dover we had to leave before Evensong. (PS we are Catholic not Anglican!)

Another favourite was our visit to Dover Castle. The WW2 tunnel tours are fascinating and the view from the lookout on the top of the cliffs - breathtaking.

Hope that is helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,631 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks to Kent forum TA folk!

Sorry late reply, just been doing the whole tourist thing myself :) Many thanks for your kind report, it does sound like you had a good time.

:) I haven't been to Canterbury Cathedral for quite some time, might have to make sure I visit next month or so :)

6. Re: Thanks to Kent forum TA folk!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 10:15