We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitstable or Herne Bay

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Whitstable or Herne Bay

We are planning to stay in Whitstable or Herne Bay for one night in May before moving on to Canterbury - can anyone advise me which of these two towns is prettier / has more going on / nicer seafront etc. etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,896 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitstable or Herne Bay

Whitstable I think. It's very pleasant around the old harbour on a nice day. Both can be windswept and horrible on a bad day.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,832 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitstable or Herne Bay

The two towns are very different. Herne Bay is an airy Victorian/Edwardian seaside resort with a long straight promenade and well-kept seafront gardens. Whitstable is an historic fishing town with a working harbour, weatherboarded cottages and narrow alleys.

So it's hard to directly compare, but I've always thought that Whitstable's coastal setting over the Swale estuary is very attractive. Personally I think Whitstable always has more going on and seems more lively. Away from the nice seafront, I find that Herne Bay town centre can seem a bit drab.

You also have Tankerton in between the two which is walking distance to Whitstable but has a busy little high street of its own with some good restaurants and a nice high grassy promenade and beach.

UK
Level Contributor
171 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitstable or Herne Bay

Many thanks for your replies. I think we'll stay in Whitstable and pop into Herne Bay for an hour or so if we have time.

4. Re: Whitstable or Herne Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 05:16