We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

North, South...
Level Contributor
456 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

We are looking for your favorite springtime scenic walking path. Rural walks one to three hours in length. With beautiful countryside...

Along the seaside cliffs or open rolling fields. Spring wild flowers...

We will have a car to get to the trail.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

Reculver Country Park - I love it. A gorgeous short walk (1 mile each way) across a grassy meadow (some flowers but not masses) over low sandstone cliffs with vast inland views over open fields. Good for spotting skylarks and sand martins (although I'm not sure how early in Spring they arrive). If the tide is out you can walk back along the rocky shore under the cliffs. There is a small visitor centre and some historic interest too with the ruined Reculver Towers...and a pub! The main car park at the Reculver Towers end is pay-and-display but parking is free at the western end (Bishopstone Lane). There's a picnic site at either end.

The walk eastwards from the Towers along the Northern Sea Wall to Minnis Bay (about 5 miles) - part of the Viking Coastal Trail - is also a fabulous stroll between the shingle beach and marshland, good for birdlife.

BUT - in early May you must not miss the bluebells! One of the best and most popular places for bluebell walks is King's Wood in Challock. The vividness of the display can depend on the winter we have. 2012-2013 we had a very prolonged cold winter well into March then a warm dry April so they were particularly stunning, the year before they weren't quite so spectacular. This year we are having a mild but very wet winter :(

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,301 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

Hi,

Have a look at the Darent Valley

discoveringbritain.org/walks/region/south-ea…

Make a diversion to lullingstone

Bob

Essex
Level Contributor
26,721 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

Always enjoyed walking along the top of the White Cliffs of Dover, setting out from near Dover Castle...

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

I've recently discovered a couple of places I didn't know about in Kent, one been the Lymme forest: www.whitecliffscountryside.org.uk/index.php… - not been there in the spring yet, but I would imagine it's beautiful (have also seen photos).

And I was here on Saturday in adverse weather, but I would imagine it would be quite nice on a nice spring day

kent.gov.uk/leisure_and_culture/countryside_…

I've been enjoying exploring different places.

White cliffs of Dover is always a good suggestion :)

Oh and what about walking near the Military canal in Hythe for example? They have some lovely pinky purple flowers around spring time on the trees (I am not very flora knowledgable so I apologise),

Edited: 09 January 2014, 16:34
North, South...
Level Contributor
456 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

Thanks for all your suggestions. Please give us more places to explore and enjoy.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,418 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

I've just looked at the walking page on the Visit Kent website which repeat some of the suggestions already made above, plus some others: visitkent.co.uk/things-to-do/…walks-in-kent

The town website for Faversham has some excellent walking guides:

faversham.org/visit_faversham/walking.aspx

The area around Faversham is lovely, especially the Oare Marshes walk. Also Faversham is the heart of the Kent orchard country, there might still be some apple blossom in early May.

Another personal recommendation is Stodmarsh National Nature Reserve.

Wye Downs is often recommended to me but I still haven't done this yet.

Also try the Explore Kent website walking guide kent.gov.uk/leisure_and_culture/…walking.aspx

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

Appledore woods!

kent.gov.uk/leisure_and_culture/countryside_…

Well its called Parkwood but I've known it as Appledore woods all my life...

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

The Saxon Shore Way between Conyer & Oare, or the path along the Stour from Chartham to Canterbury & back are both very enjoyable. The former is particularly good if you're into bird watching.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

Romney Marsh circular from Appledore station, to the church in the marsh and "The Red Lion" at Snargate. Flat, beautiful church, great pub.

Mike

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: favorite springtime scenic walking paths in Kent?

Parkwood Picnic site as I mentioned above is getting full of bluebells now :) Was there yesterday.