We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best route from Tunbridge Wells to Canterbury on a Saturday

North, South...
Level Contributor
456 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
best route from Tunbridge Wells to Canterbury on a Saturday

We will be driving from Tunbridge Wells to Canterbury on a Saturday morning.

What is the best route to take? I checked and have a few options.

A264, A228, M20, A249, M2 this route goes through Tonbridge

or

A26, A227, M20, A249, M2

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8,445 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best route from Tunbridge Wells to Canterbury on a Saturday

Do you want to do the journey in record time, do you have a deadline to meet, do you want to see something of the towns and villages along the way?

Give us more detail and we can maybe help you....

North, South...
Level Contributor
456 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best route from Tunbridge Wells to Canterbury on a Saturday

We will be spending Saturday night in Dover. We can leave Tunbridge Wells early with the goal of Canterbury for part of the day.

We also want to visit Sissinghurst during our visit. Would it make sense to visit Sissinghurst first that day and then spend the later part of the afternoon in Canterbury? We could visit Sissinghurst on Monday instead.

This is a holiday weekend.

Normally we enjoy the country route with scenic views.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best route from Tunbridge Wells to Canterbury on a Saturday

Not sure if you realise that with both of your options you would need to take the A2 from the end of the M2 to get near to Canterbury and the A2050 (or the A28) for the final run into the city. But given your starting point, I would suggest remaining on the M20 until Ashford and then joining the A28.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best route from Tunbridge Wells to Canterbury on a Saturday

If you want to visit Sissinghurst Gardens then it makes sense to do it on route to Canterbury.

A21, A262, A28 or depends which side of T.W. you are staying & time leaving, traffic is pretty heavy, I often take the back roads through Wadhurst, Lamberhurst joining the A262 here.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,956 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best route from Tunbridge Wells to Canterbury on a Saturday

Certainly avoid the roads between Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge on a Saturday morning! They are heavily congested at the best of times and Saturday mornings are among the worst.

Dover, United...
Level Contributor
74 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best route from Tunbridge Wells to Canterbury on a Saturday

I'd go A26 to the M20. A249, then M2/A2 to Canterbury.

If you decide to do Sissinghurst Castle on the way I'd use A262 then on to Ashford after and pick up the A28 to Canterbury.

Use the park and ride at Wincheap when you arrive for either instance .

7. Re: best route from Tunbridge Wells to Canterbury on a Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 06:16