We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

I'm thinking of a weekend break in October for my birthday I'm looking at Southampton to stay is it a good place to stay for a weekend or is there other places to stay. I'm looking at a rail journey from Birmingham. Is there buses or rail journeys from Southampton to Winchester or other destinations

UK
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

www.transportdirect.info

www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,874 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

A lot will depend on what you want to do.

Southampton does not have a lot of tourist attractions but is a good base for visiting other areas and has a good variety of shopping and nightlife.

The trains from Birmingham also stop at Winchester which is a smaller city with more tourist attractions within walking distance.

See tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i24705-Day_tr… and tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i23747-Things… for a few suggestions of things to do

Hampshire
Level Contributor
172 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

Hi Roders in order to answer your question what to you look for in a weekend break?

Winchester is definitely prettier but Southampton has great shopping Or you could change trains at Basingstoke and head for Salisbury touristy attractions like Stonehenge on your door step and interesting g shops and bars

BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

I was thinking of stopping in Southampton as a base and I'm thinking of going to Winchester for a day by rail. Me and my family love history and love walking so I thought of going to Winchester. Am I right it's only 15-20 mins by rail to Winchester from Southampton. I'm looking at a nice hotel which is close to rail station and west quay shopping centre

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,874 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

The Southampton Premier Inns get good reviews, The Novotel and IBIS are also close to the station.

For more character you could consider the Mercure Dolphin

And yes Winchester is about 20 minutes by train.

Edited: 29 August 2012, 18:28
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

Southampton is ok, but not that different from Birmingham in that West Quay has all the usual chain shops (including a city centre IKEA) and the centre is very modern. It's got some old city walls to walk on, and a few museums (there is a brand new Titanic museum but I've never been in). I think you are right that it will be cheaper staying in Southampton compared to Winchester.

I'm sure your train down from Birmingham will stop at Winchester so you will see it is really close. 10 minutes by train in the other direction is Brockenhurst, which is right in the middle of the New Forest, if you like that sort of thing. Lots of walks, or you can hire bicycles at the station.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

Mmm sounds like me my family love history and walks.

You could pop down to Portsmouth from Southampton on the train. There is HMS victory in Portsmouth Dockyard and you can look out to the forts that were built in the harbour as a defence against possible invasion by Napoleon. Takes about 40 minutes on the train depending on whether it is a fast or slow train.

Another possibility.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

Southampton is a great base. From there you can visit Winchester one day, Portsmouth the next all bt train, really easy. Southampton is different from Birmingham because it is Southampton, you'll have a lovely time.

All city centres all close to the train stations so well within walking distances.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,179 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

I am no expert on shopping but there is a discount shopping place in Portsmouth called Gunwharf Quays. Train station is Portsmouth Harbour (and it's about a 30 second walk from there).

http://www.gunwharf-quays.com/

10. Re: Is Southampton a nice place to stay for a weekend?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2013, 10:17