We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding on a day trip from London

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Deciding on a day trip from London

So we're trying to decide between Bath and Brighton for a day trip from London later this month. Asking which one we should pick is obviously tricky, but I'll ask - which would you pick, and why? My hunch from leafing through the internets is that there's more history, architecture, beautiful gardens, etc...in Bath, but that Brighton potentially looks more fun (in terms of cool/interesting shops, quirky things like the Penny Arcade Museum, etc...) if one is under 60 or so. :-) But this is all just a quick impression and could be horribly wrong.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
10 replies to this topic
Winchelsea, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding on a day trip from London

That's pretty much right. But as you've posted this in the SE England forum, you'll most likely get replies from people nearer to Brighton. Bear that in mind.

One other thing I'd add - both are huge tourist destinations, so don't expect a quiet day...

Mike

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding on a day trip from London

Bath. Much more interesting!

As Mikey says, both are heaving with tourists, but there are plenty of places within easy reach of London that are not -- eg Colchester, St Albans, Saffron Walden, Portsmouth.... where you will get a truer picture of England than the tourist honeypots!

Mentioned in this post
St Albans
St Albans
Hertfordshire, UK
Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding on a day trip from London

The world is your oyster for a day trip! Consider also taking a train from either London Waterloo or London Victoria to Portsmouth Hard. Next to the train station (5 minutes either side) is Gunwharf Quays, or the old shipyard where you can walk down and see HMS Victory - or pay to see the Mary Rose (Henry Vlll flagship). If you fancy something completely different,get the cameraman from Portsmouth Hard train station to the Isle of Wight - book your ticket to Ryde Pier Head, and walk down the long pier to the town. Both boat and train back to London are available until late at night -just ask for times. I worked in London when I lived on the Island, and confirm that this would be a very nice trip for you. You will not need to book for either train or ferry - but cheaper travelling after 10:00am - no restrictions on return time. If you don't want to walk down the pier, you can get the little train to Ryde, Sandown or Shanklin (Shanklin is a beautiful old village with thatched roofs and Shanklin Chine is a lovely place to amble down to the sea front) - pay on the train that usually meets the catamaran.

Emsworth, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding on a day trip from London

Forgot to say, if you are interested in History, you could visit Osborne House in Cowes, Queen Victoria's favourite residence. Probably a little difficult on public transport,and you might need a taxi, which you can book at the Catamaran terminal at Portsmouth Hard. Enjoy your holiday wherever you venture!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deciding on a day trip from London

We do have to pick between the two listed places, as we're doing this with other people and these are the two trips they've decided they want to do (we're just only going to join them for one).

Thanks!

Essex
Level Contributor
29,956 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deciding on a day trip from London

Those places are SOUTH or WEST

For South EAST try Canterbury, Rye or Whitstable....

Edited: 08 September 2013, 00:15
Mentioned in this post
Canterbury
Canterbury
Kent, UK
Whitstable
Whitstable
Kent, UK
Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deciding on a day trip from London

For me I would choose Bath.

Level Contributor
3,608 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Deciding on a day trip from London

For me, Brighton is weather-dependent whereas Bath is lovely year-round.

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Rye, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
100 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deciding on a day trip from London

Definitely Bath! Aswell as lots of history & architecture, its also excellent for shopping. Brighton is ok but Bath is definitely the better choice.

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deciding on a day trip from London

Hmmm...glad I asked! I definitely thought Brighton looked more fun, but both here and another place I've asked the opinion is overwhelmingly Bath. Surprises me how uneven it is, but I guess if I'm going to ask a question I should pay attention to the answer. :-)

Thanks! (And my apologies for posting in the wrong section - not sure how that happened. It was 1am...probably had something to do with it.)

Mentioned in this post
Brighton
Brighton
Brighton and Hove, UK
Reply to: Deciding on a day trip from London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted