We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

Which Canterbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

Our son has just started at Kent Uni in Canterbury and we plan to take him out Sunday lunchtime for his birthday. Is driving and parking as difficult on a Sunday as we found it was on a Saturday?Can anyone please recommend a restaurant ?. Maybe a high-class fish & chips? or has anyone tried Azouma, (though their £7 lunch buffet is worryingly inexpensive)? Many thanks

UK
Level Contributor
183 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

My kids in their 20s like Pinocchios in Castle Street, excellent pizza and other Italian, nice atmosphere. they also go to Wagamama for Japanese, though a bit of a canteen atmosphere

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

Have just returned from trip with second car load of things for daughter at uni! While there we came across a wonderful country pub - complete with a goat tied up in the pub garden! The pub us called The Three Tuns at Staple. If you go out of Canterbury on the A257(?) towards Sandwich, it is approx 8 miles along. Keep on this road until Wingham (which also has a lovely pub with good food called The Dog), then turn right to Staple.

Be careful if you look at The Three Tuns website, like I did before we went. They advertised 3 course Sunday lunch for £15, but when we got there the menu no longer existed. However, my daughter had the roast beef, (approx £10.50 i think) which she said was delicious. I had the roast shank of lamb, which was very succulent. I think they advertise that their meat comes locally. Try apple crumble - beautifully presented and all home made, not the dollop in the middle of a bowl I was expecting (price I think £4.50)!

It's lovely to read of other places to try so thanks for keep adding to the Canterbury area list. We try to take our daughter to places outside Canterbury to give her a change of scene, so any more ideas gratefully received!

California
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

This is a late response, but we just spent a week in Canterbury and had dinner at the Azouma. It was a wonderful experience. We had never had the opportunity to eat Moroccan food before. We ordered the variety dinner, a taste of everything. (I've forgotten the name on the menu) If you are still in Canterbury and have not tried the Azouma, be brave and have an exciting meal experiencing many different tastes.

Canterbury
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

As a local i would reccomend the Old Coach and Horses in Harbledown, located within 5 minutes drive or 20 minutes walk from the campus. Miss Charlotte Wigham maybe young (21yrs) but she has opened an excellent pub with great locally sourced food and a real home cooked flavour. 10/10

canterbury
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

Check out Samphire on the High Street in Whitstable just before the road splits. They do breakfast until 5pm (!) alongside a fantastic lunch menu of locally sourced food. After 5pm the menu changes. its seasonal and local and won't break the bank. Sunday lunches are top notch, with roast sirloin from a farm in Ash - yes the chef visits all the farms himself! £12 for 2 courses. definitely worth a recce! i think its what they call modern british.

London
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. We'll be visiting him again soon and would appreciate any new ideas, please. Have tried a couple of the closer suggestions, but some are closed Sundays, and still looking for somewhere a bit special without being too expensive.

England, UK
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

my favourite restaurant in Canterbury is Cafe De China, obviously you have to like chinese!?!?!

5-6 St. Georges Place

Canterbury, CT1 1UP

01227 781523

You pay one set price but it's not a buffet, although you can order what you want off the menu as many times as you like. The food is cooked fresh to order and it is very clean, the best chinese I have ever had :o)

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

If you are looking for high class fish & chips in a lovely environment try the petit poisson in Herne Bay. Its right on the seafront at the entrance to the pier (the sunsets on a clear day are amazing), serves local fish from whitstable. Best fish restaurant in Kent.

Enjoy

London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

Oh and if you are looking for somewhere to stay have a look at wwww.beaconcourt.co.uk a self catering apartment with fab sea views with a modern feel.

20. Re: Sunday lunch in/near Canterbury please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 00:16