We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

Florence, Italy
3 posts
To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

What is the easiest way to get from Canterbury to the white cliffs and the castle of Dover?

thank you so much!!

London
Level Contributor
12,561 posts
69 reviews
20 helpful votes
1. Re: To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

There is a train every half hour from Canterbury East (Canterbury has two stations - they're on different routes so you need to use this one) to Dover on weekdays.

Return fare is £7.20 off peak (or £7.70 if you set off very early).

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
59,285 posts
45 reviews
55 helpful votes
2. Re: To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

You cannot actually see the White Cliffs unless you are on a ship out in the Channel but there is a visitor park etc.

www.whitecliffscountryside.org.uk/index.php…

http://www.whitecliffscountry.org.uk/

Have a good trip to Dover. The castle is at the top of a hill. A big hill!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,998 posts
239 reviews
158 helpful votes
3. Re: To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

For my money, the best white cliffs are at the Seven Sisters, part of the Heritage Coast.

http://www.sevensisters.org.uk/page64.html

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
73 posts
4. Re: To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

For the castle take the number 15 "The Diamond" bus operated by Stagecoach, from Dover Prior Station, or all the way from Canterbury.

The white cliffs can be seen from Samphire Hoe country park, a 1.2km walk across a cycle/footbridge and down a tunnel from the nearest bus service in Aycliffe, or can be accessed by car from the westbound A20 via the tunnel. Mobile phone coverage down there is provided by French networks.

Map of bus routes in Dover: stagecoachbus.com/uploads/ek_dovertownmaps08…

Florence, Italy
3 posts
5. Re: To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

Thank you so much for your answers!

...and if i take the number 15 "The Diamond" bus operated by Stagecoach, from Canterbury to the Castle, (i ignore the name of the right bus stop but i can ask it to the driver...) and then i take again the same bus to St. Margaret's at cliffe?

thank you again!

blessings!

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
196 reviews
157 helpful votes
6. Re: To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

Yes you could, in St Margaret's it stops at the top of the hill so if you want to see the famous view from the bay you'll have to go down & then back up the big hill to the sea (but it's worth it!). Or you can join the cliff-top trails instead. The Diamond (#15) runs in a loop back to Canterbury. You need to ask for an Explorer ticket which is unlimited day travel so you can get on and off more than once with one ticket (currently cost £5.80).

Timetables here www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables.aspx…

Edited: 22 July 2011, 17:28
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
59,285 posts
45 reviews
55 helpful votes
7. Re: To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

Yes buy an explorer ticket (I did last September) and grab all the timetable leaflets, so if the mood takes or the weather dictates you can take the next bus to somewhere else.

Bishop Auckland...
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
7,360 posts
82 reviews
65 helpful votes
8. Re: To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

And the explorer bus ticket costs £5.50 and you can get on and off when you like for the day :)

Florence, Italy
3 posts
9. Re: To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

thank you so much! I'm planning to go next Friday! Finally! :D

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
196 reviews
157 helpful votes
10. Re: To Dover castle and the white cliffs!

Explorer tickets have just gone up to from £5.50 to £5.80 or if there are 2 of you the family ticket for 2 adults is still £10. You pay the driver as you board the bus. Try to have the correct change. Obviously the bus journey to Dover will take longer than the train, but is probably more convenient for the places you want to see.

stagecoachbus.com/2local-ticket-guides-kent.…