We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting on a sunday

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
625 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
visiting on a sunday

We will travel from London for the day and we want to be sure to visit the cathedral.

For our planning, sunday seem to be better but I know the cathedral is not open for a long time on sunday. Can we expect long waiting line in front of the cathedral before the opening for visitors on a sunday afternoon in July?

We want to see nice part of the city of Canterbury, which area should we walk around ?

For a light lunch what would be a good place ?

I know only one day is not alot but it is all we will have to visit Canterbury.

Thank you for your help.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,901 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting on a sunday

Canterbury is a small compact city, you can walk anywhere in just a few minutes.

You should visit the city walls, which have been restored and rebuilt on the southern side. That area was badly damaged by bombing in World War 2 and is the 'modern part' while much of the rest of the city is very old.

I am not sure about the waiting times to visit the cathedral on a Sunday in July, as I usually visit the city in September which even then is very busy.

There are literally dozens of places to eat catering for every taste. You won't have far to look for somewhere that suits you.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,833 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting on a sunday

Generally I'd say one day is ample as it's not a large place, although as you are aware there are restricted opening times on a Sunday. You will be able to enjoy some of the green spaces once other places are shut.

Whilst the city centre itself will probably be quite busy, I don't normally see long waiting queues at the entrance gate.

In my opinion the nicest street to walk is Palace St and the area around that (Sun St, Orange St, The Friars, Blackfriars St, King St etc). Castle St, Stour St and Burgate are nice too. As mentioned above, you can walk along a short section of the remaining city walls, the best bit flanks Dane John Gardens.

At the moment, Boho is quite popular for a light, informal lunch though it can be difficult to get a table. Or try one of the nice pubs such as the Dolphin. Also, on a Sunday some of the pubs will be doing their Sunday roasts if you want something more substantial.

The other thing about Sunday is that most shops are only open 10am-4pm, except a few of the larger stores 11am-5pm

Edited: 27 February 2012, 08:09
3. Re: visiting on a sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 20:43