We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

Which Canterbury hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
486 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

We will be staying at Broome Park (we're not golfers, just using the accomm!) for six days in early June and would welcome tips on where to go as we don't know the area at all. Also very interested in any good pubs in the area! We have 13 and 15 yr old children and it seems like castles and animals plus history are the way to go plus anything else unusual or topical that might be around. We hope not to drive too far and won't be going up to London. There doesn't seem to be anything on Barnham itself on TA, besides our hotel,so I'm guessing it's a tiny village?

Many thanks.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

Assuming you have a car, here are a few suggestions you may like to look at.

Possibly Howletts or Port Lymnpe would be good.

www.aspinallfoundation.org

Dover Castle is great for history from Roman times to WWII.

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…dover-castle

For a complete change to anywhere else a trip to Dungerness with its unique atmosphere plus maybe lunch at either The Britannia or The Pilot (I prefer The Britannia) and a trip on the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch Miniature Railway.

www.thepilot.uk.com

shepherdneame.co.uk/pub/…britannia.aspx

www.rhdr.org.uk

A drive through to Tenterden for a steam train ride to Bodiam Castle, visit the castle and back, and for Mum and Dad a visit to Biddenden Vineyards for some wine tasting.

www.kesr.org.uk

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/bodiam-castle

www.biddendenvineyards.com

Good luck with your planning. I hope this gives you some ideas.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

I know you can get to Dover by train from Cantenbury, now the question is pay extra and take the fast javelin trains through to Dover which may be a nice thing to do in itself or change at Ashford which a short bus into the centre is good for shopping etc as well as Cantenbury itself.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,025 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

Canterbury East to Dover trains are not 'Javelin' trains and in any case you don't pay extra to use them for local journeys in Kent. It's only journeys to and from London that cost more than the slower ordinary trains.

If people staying at Broome Park don't have a car or don't want to drive the Canterbury - Folkestone bus 16 or 16A passes by the entrance. Broome Park is between Denton and Barham Crematorium.

Timetable

stagecoachbus.com/PdfUploads/…29.pdf

Map

www.stagecoachbus.com/RMTheLink230709.aspx

That bus also goes to the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway at Hythe.

Edited: 14 May 2012, 21:42
Dalton, Georgia,USA
Level Contributor
61 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

I know this sounds pretty random, but The Canterbury-Kent Cricket Club. They will probably have a match during your stay. this is absolutely well worth the time and effort. We stopped by while in Canterbury last week. Just a chance to see the magnificent old Cricket pitch, with the surrounding buildings made this "quick stop" into a 5 hour delightful afternoon. (No, I am not a great sports enthusiast.) People in the outfield stands ( there is a pub there as well) are very helpful in explaining the game. THe players take 2 breaks during the match. One for lunch,and one for tea, of all things! When they are on break, you are welcome to walk out onto the field which is bent grass like a HUGE golf green. We changed our whole itinerary for that day but I have learned to always go with experiences over sites, and I am never disappointed. The players are so friendly and so very close to the fans you can actually talk to them, and many were members of the All-England Club that plays international competition! DOn't miss this!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
47,025 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

I'm off to watch Kent play at Tunbridge Wells from 6th - 13th June. The previous match, at Canterbury, is a day/night game on Friday 1st June starting at 4.40pm. vs Warwickshire.

Ticket information etc at kentcricket.co.uk/fixtures-results/fixtures…

We have all forgotten I think to mention that Tuesday 5th June is the extra holiday for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Not only will public transport be curtailed but there may well be special events taking place, everything from a village fair to things more grand in the larger towns.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

Good call on the Diamond Jubilee holiday cubsur, I had forgotten about that.

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
486 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

Wow you're a busy lot down in Kent - thanks for all the great ideas you've come up with (especially Marg) - is Howletts the same as Port Lympne ... can't quite work that one out? Hadn't quite realised that we'd be down there for the Jubilee either so reckon I need to get onto the Canterbury Tourist Info for that one - might throw up something interesting.

We'll be coming by car but the bus info is welcome as it's nice to let somebody else take the strain sometimes.

Also def agree with jimmy's "experiences over sites" comment as they're always the bits of trips that you remember most. Having said that, the most attractive thing about cricket for me is probably the tea if I'm honest!! Appreciate the thought though.

Are there any decent eateries near Broome Park any of you know of?

Thanks again. Sarah

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

Have been to Howletts, some time ago and more recently to Port Lympne and have a preference for Port Lympne as it is a larger site with a safari truck that you can get off and on at various points. They both have pretty much the same types of animals. I seem to remember that you could get closer to the gorillas at Howletts. I should say however that the entry price is now quite a lot more that I remember in the past so you need to decide if you really want to spend that much.

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

Wingham Wildlife Park is nearby too, an easy drive up the B2046. It's nowhere near as big as either Howletts or Port Lympne but it's a really great little zoo especially for younger children. http://www.winghamwildlifepark.co.uk/

If you are coming in to Canterbury by car, then I recommend you use the Park & Ride on New Dover Road (unless Sunday, when it doesn't operate). http://www.canterbury.gov.uk/parkandride

Barham is indeed a tiny village, but don't forget once on the Barham page on TA then you can click on the map to bring up restaurant suggestions in nearby villages - many of which will actually be pubs.

Great Yarmouth...
Destination Expert
for Norwich, Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
586 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tips on where to go during week at Broome Park nr Canterbury

You could always bring your passports and take a day trip to France - go as foot passengers on a ferry from Dover, have lunch in Calais and come back taking in the famous view of the White Cliffs of Dover.