We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashford to Paris on Boxing Day

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ashford to Paris on Boxing Day

Our family will be visiting Canterbury for several days over Christmas 2012. We'd like to make a day trip to Paris on Dec 26, taking the high speed train from Ashford in the morning and returning to Ashford in the evening. Because one can only book trains 120 days in advance, it's difficult to get information on prices and frequency at this early date. Still, for a variety of reasons, we need to plan far in advance. Does anyone know whether Eurostar trains are normally running on Dec 26? If so, is this a popular time to travel -- and are the high speed trains likely to be crowded to a destination like Paris on Boxing Day? Thanks for your help...

Likely To Sell Out
Leeds Castle, Cliffs of Dover and...
720 reviews
from US$127.90*
Leeds Castle, Canterbury Cathedral...
87 reviews
from US$130.70*
Leeds Castle Private Viewing...
353 reviews
from US$135.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Day-Trip to Canterbury and Dover from...
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hood's Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashford to Paris on Boxing Day

Eurostar normally operates a Sunday timetable on Boxing Day. Ashford International has fewer trains (about 4 daily, I believe) that stop off there so you will be reduced quite dramatically on available services.

It is difficult to say how busy the trains will be - the UK and France will be on holidays (school and work) so they could be, but it is generally a quiet day after the Christmas excesses so it may not be...

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashford to Paris on Boxing Day

You're right -- the Sunday schedule is much lighter. A look at September 2012 shows only two trains a day to Paris, so clearly I'd have to purchase tickets at my earliest opportunity to be assured of seats. Thanks for your reply!

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashford to Paris on Boxing Day

You need to book well ahead to get decent prices.

Note that the earliest arrival from Ashford is at 1247, and the last departure 1917, for which you need to have checked in no later than 1847.

So you've got a maximum of 6 hrs from train arrival to having to be at the checkin desk home. Whether this constitutes a "day trip" I leave to you.

You see NOTHING from the train

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
51,528 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ashford to Paris on Boxing Day

Please be aware that most domestic train services do not operate on Boxing Day in the UK and there will be no bus services in Kent.

You will need to arrange to get to and from Ashford by some other means.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,609 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ashford to Paris on Boxing Day

< but it is generally a quiet day after the Christmas excesses so it may not be... >

It's a popular day for setting off to hit the piste and Eurostar is one of the ways they get to the Alps, so I wouldn't assume that it will be quiet.

If I was at Canterbury then I'd be tempted to head to Dover and take the ferry to Calais for the day or visit Lille instead both of which would be a more manageable day trip than to Paris

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,679 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ashford to Paris on Boxing Day

If you can delay your trip until the 27th you will have far better options.

7. Re: Ashford to Paris on Boxing Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2013, 05:46