We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Canterbury

San Francisco
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Canterbury

We are going to be in Canterbury for 3 days in July and are wondering about day trips in the area. We will be traveling by train most likely although possibly by car. Any suggestions would be helpful. Heading to London after so will have time for sites there.

Thanks.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
96 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Dover is not the prettiest town (IMO) in the world, but Dover Castle is well worth a visit.. You could also take a short boat trip to see the famous white cliffs from the sea.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Hello! Sandwich is a lovely and very old small town in an attractive riverside location which IMO is unmissable. Nearby Deal also has a very old part that's worth an hour or two. Dover Castle has already been mentioned but you also have Walmer Castle. In fact the whole Kent coast from Herne Bay right round to Romney Marsh is steeped in history and is worth at least a drive around.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

I quite like Hythe, there are quite a few indepedent shops and it's always nice to walk by the Royal Military Canal :) http://www.hythe-kent.com/

Another option is Whitstable, always nice around the harbour area :) http://www.seewhitstable.com/ And also many little local shops.

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Lots of interesting cioastal towns near Cantebury - Whitstable has oodles of character and quirky shops, the Isle of Thanet has some lovely sandy beaches and each of the main towns has something to recommend it (Broadstairs is especially charming with its crescent beach, Ramsgate has a nice harbour area and Margate though rough around the edges has an interesting old town, shell grotto and the Turner Contempory), Dover Castle is outstanding, the cliffes are worth a visit as is the Roman painted house (though sadly the town suffered badly from WWII bombing and unsympathetic 1960s development), Folkestone has an interesting old town and a lovely cliff top promenade, across the border into Sussex, Rye is one of the most picture perfect small towns in England and could be combined with a trip to Hastings old town and the country park. Inland, Chilham is a lovely village with nice downland walks nearby and Sandwich is an old cinque port and very pretty, Faversham is an interesting market town and Rochester is well worth visting for the castle catherderal and old high street.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,202 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Take the bus from Canterbury to Sandwich and enjoy the ride. Have a few beers in one of the local pubs and no worries about drink driving!

You can buy a one day pass and get timetables at the Bus Station for unlimited rides on local buses run by Stagecoach.

www.stagecoachbus.com/localdefault.aspx…

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Hello again! You can do some nice day trips from Canterbury by bus to the Kent coast. Last year I did one day Ct to Sandwich, S to Deal, Deal to Dover, Dover to Folkestone and then F back to Canterbury via the beautiful Elham Valley. A great day out and a much more relaxed way of seeing the country than driving, and better views

Canterbury, United...
Destination Expert
for Canterbury
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

I think most of the nearby towns of some interest have been covered above. Depending on what your interests are there are some other major attractions such as Leeds Castle, Chatham Historic Dockyard, Howletts Zoo and Port Lympne wild animal park which may be easier to visit by car.

I will just add a few links:

The train operating company is http://www.southeasternrailway.co.uk/

You may find the National Rail Enquiries journey planner easier to use http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Visit Kent 2 for 1 offers travelling by train or bus www.visitkentoffers.co.uk/2-for-1-offers/

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,733 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Aside from an interesting passenger on one Dover to Folkestone bus journey, it's quite an enjoyable trip :) Good views I found :)

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,864 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

We loved the Lobster Shack at Whistable (East Quay). It is right on the beach with large picture windows. The layout is fairly basic - long wooden tables and benches - but the food is delicious. Our French friends said that the oysters were the best they had tasted.

Rochester castle and cathedral make for a very interesting visit. There is also a Dickens museum in the High Street.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Hi there!

As previous posts have already mentioned, Dover Castle is brilliant. It's perfect for all age groups too. Pretty good entry prices too, considering how much is there! I'd easily spend a whole day there, and as a bonus, you get great views of the dock and Dover itself. Although in my opinion, Dover itself isn't great, so it's a nice way to see Dover!

Hythe is lovely! The little canal boats are great fun, and on a sunny day, the queue can be quite long to get a boat! Brilliant for families or couples!

Whitstable is great too. Easy to get to by bus, should take around 30mins. The town has some nice little shops and there has been a café boom in the past 5-10 years in Whitstable, as well as in Canterbury!

If you like walking, there is a great walk from Reculver to Birchington, passing the Reculver towers.

Chatham Dockyards is also great, but I believe it is only open at certain times of the year, and I personally think it is a bit pricey, although that was 18 months ago now.

Quick train routes to Thanet, including Margate and Ramsgate!

Hope this helps! :)

Chris