We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Canterbury

San Francisco
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Canterbury

We are going to be in Canterbury for 3 days in July and are wondering about day trips in the area. We will be traveling by train most likely although possibly by car. Any suggestions would be helpful. Heading to London after so will have time for sites there.

Thanks.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

To add to the very good suggestions already made, if you want to visit somewhere a little unusual try Reculver:

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Or try weird and wonderful Dungeness, further away from Canterbury, but no further than some other places suggested. Some people love it, others hate it. I'm one of those who love it, despite - because of? - the nearby power station and the rather desolate but striking natural environment.

http://www.dungeness-nnr.co.uk/

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

If you go to Dungeness don't park in Hythe or Romney and travel on the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch miniature railway.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Sandy1949:

It would be help if you expanded on your advice. Are you suggesting that it would be better to drive directly to Dungeness because of the cost involved?

The RHDR is an interesting ride on a beautifully maintained miniature railway. It is used on a daily basis by local children travelling to school.

www.rhdr.org.uk

JTWKfamily: I love Dungeness, it has such atmosphere but as already been said you either love it or hate it.

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Just this minute reread my post should have said DO park in Hythe or Romney Oops bit of a difference there. Sorry. It's a fun way to arrive in Dungeness

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

:-)

Marg

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

I agree with your suggestion Celistina, I was at Dengemarsh on a cold, wet, and windy, gusty day, and it was quite out of this world, with the wind, the barrenness, the angry sea, buzzing and the power station in that background. So different.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

If you manage to hire a car then villages like Chilham, Wye, Boughton Lees are worth looking at. Just a note if you travel by train from Canterbury there are two stations, Canterbury East and Canterbury West both on the outskirts of the City centre they cover different areas so check which one you need before you set off! You can get explorer tickets for the buses to save you money and although generally slower you may see a lot more than travelling by train.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Hi, Cantenbury West sems to cover trains towards Ashfiord etc, and East the other area. I agree with the suggestion of Dover Castle, but that can take a good day in itself, and and if I am remembering correctly the main service bus from Cantenbury stops in the main town centre and nowhere near the Castle, although you may be able to get a slightly expensive single on the City Sightseeing Tour bus, if you don't mind going around a litle on that srevice.

Greatstone
Level Contributor
2 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Day trips from Canterbury

Romney Marsh is about one hours drive from Canterbury. On Romney Marsh you enjoy the sea at one of three fine sandy beaches, travel on the worlds smallest public railway, visit historic buildings from mediaeval churches, inns to old forts, see wildlife in our nature reserves and countryside, climb to the top of a lighthouse, visit Dungeness, Britain's only desert, find out about how we defended ourselves against Napoleon and Hitler, have a drink and/or meal at one of our excellent pubs or restaurants, visit a museum or gallery, have a walk or cycle ride in the Marsh countryside and have a go at karting and watersports.

Find out more at www.theromneymarsh.net/visitors/visit.htm