We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canterbury proper seems Sold Out!

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
238 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Canterbury proper seems Sold Out!

July 13 - July 16 seem very popular dates to be in Canterbury. No lodging for two that I can find within walking distance of the Cathedral, which is, for me, the primary attraction.

I do so like to walk when out of L.A.! But, tardy to booking, and price to be paid.

Are there car-park areas reasonably near to the Cathedral? I am an absolute hazard on English roads. I'm an excellent U.S. driver, but the cultural driving differences just throw me off and I'd rather drive less than more, for the sake of all good English-persons.

But if I do drive, what areas around Canterbury are best and most reasonably located? I might as well forgo a train from London and rent a car from there if I'm going to have to commute by car into Canterbury anyway, so perhaps there are desirable hotels or Bed and Breakfasts in the out-laying area that have more charm than others.

Your delinquent traveler thanks you,

George

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,455 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canterbury proper seems Sold Out!

Are there car-park areas reasonably near to the Cathedral?

Not really - most parking in the city is reserved for residents. The city has good park and ride facilities on the main roads into town from all directions. plus car parks dotted around the ring road. Nowhere on that road is more than 10 minutes walk from the Cathedral.

Which local villages have you checked for accommodation? For example Wye and Sturry both haev excellent train and bus connections with Canterbury.

You could also look at staying in places like Whitstable and Herne Bay, two nearby seaside resorts which have buses to and from Canterbury every 10-15 minutes even on Sundays.

Last year I stayed at the University which lets out student accommodation in summer. It's a couple of miles from the city (but has superb views over it from high up on Tyler Hill) but likewise has a bus into the city every few minutes all day every day. It's very basic but acceptable.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
238 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canterbury proper seems Sold Out!

Thank you cubsur. I got very lucky today and phoned Canterbury Lodge to discover, with a change in just one date they have a room available. It isn't one of their best, apparently, but that doesn't bother me in the least as the location is perfect for my interests. I feel so fortunate. So we'll be in Canterbury July 14, 15, 16 heading by car toward Salisbury on July 17.

I appreciate your help, and but for the above suerte would have been exploring those avenues!

George

Canterbury, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canterbury proper seems Sold Out!

Kent University have there Graduation days in the Cathedral from Monday 15th July to Fri 19th July, so will be booked and very busy.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canterbury proper seems Sold Out!

"but the cultural driving differences just throw me off "

You have awakened my curiosity, what differences in particular?

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
238 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canterbury proper seems Sold Out!

For those of us accustomed to sitting in the Left seat, shifting with the Right hand, and driving on the Right hand side of the road, perspective is thrown off, and reflexes, and all else! Hence, I've rented an automatic and will drive like my Grandmother, with prayers said for all.

6. Re: Canterbury proper seems Sold Out!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 05:16